14 | The Midnight Chase

14
Eclipse
T h e M i d n i g h t   C h a s e

AFTER A WEEK of spending quality time with Madeline, her long lost sister, Adele returned to Fork to be with her family. As soon as she walked in the door, Carlisle and Esme were the first to greet her. The only other person in the house was Emmett because the others went to the mountains to go hunting.

"Welcome home." Esme greeted her and hugged her. Adele was tired of the greetings and the hugs – thank good she was staying.

"Did you find out who was leaving you those notes?" Carlisle questioned. Was it Madeline?

Adele frowned because she knew he'd grown accustomed to the theory of it being Madeline. "Nope. I reached a dead end." she lied convincingly and let out a deceiving sigh, "And I've decided to stop searching for a while. I left a note to say where I would be if they decided to contact me again."

"Oh." he quickly masked his disappointment although she noticed Esme run his back comfortingly.

Emmett walked into the forté and grinned, "Hey, sis. Bring me a keychain?"

She laughed, "Nope." He faked a frown. She glanced at the flat-screen in the living room to see he was watching football. Adele made her way upstairs and then said, "But I did leave you something outside."

With a wide grin, he sped out of the house and as Adele reached her room, she heard Emmett's booming shout of satisfaction as he had found his present left for him in the driveway by Adele – the latest edition of his favorite stereo system. "SO MUCH BETTER THAN A KEYCHAIN!"

She laughed as he entered her bedroom and dropped her bag beside her door. She fell back onto her comfortable queen-sized bed and smiled up at the ceiling – she was beyond words to describe her happiness. Everything was finally falling back into place for her. Even though Jace was gone, she faced the people and place that had haunted her the most because of his death and emerged victoriously. After that, she finally realized that Jace would want her to live her life to the best it could be.

Finding Madeline made her to finally open her eyes to the world around her and she saw everything in an entirely new light. She would miss Jace and mourn him always, but she was going to start over again. It was time, now that her heavy miserable burden was lifted from her shoulders.

She unpacked her bag and put all of its contents neatly away in her dresser and in her closet. She dressed into new clothes since she had been wearing her clothes from the previous day. Just as she finished dressing, there was a rapping on her door and she opened it. In the doorway stood Alice. Before she opened her mouth, Adele read her mind and saw that she'd just seen a vision of Bella getting ready to visit Jacob, since she hadn't spoken to him in weeks since the fight between the three of them – Bella, Jacob and Edward. Adele sort of blamed herself for Jacob's unrequited love for Bella. She pushed them together when Edward was gone, after all.

"Edward read my mind, the nosy prick." Alice sighed, "He's heading to Bella's right now to stop her." Rolling her eyes, Adele grabbed her phone and jacket and closed the door behind her. She walked with Alice at a human pace down the flights of stairs. "He's too overprotective. I understand where he is coming from, but he's going too far."

"He cannot tell her who she can and cannot see. She's an adult and she's her own person.
She socializes with people other than us." she replied, "I'm going to set him straight, the idiot." Normally she would get involved, but if a fight broke out between Jacob and Edward, she could be the only mediator.