32 | Fireflies

31
Breaking Dawn   [Pt. 1]
F i r e f l i e s

WHEN ADELE PULLED into the driveway and looked at Maxine through the rearview mirror, the little girl was gaping at the large, modern home erected in the middle of the woods. Adele smiled at her and this seemed to catch her attention, because she looked at her.

"Are you ready?"

Maxine nodded enthusiastically. She climbed out of the car and walked to the other side to let her out of the car seat. When they heard them pullinf into the driveway, everyone began to make their way outside to greet them.

"It's like a castle!" She signed, staring at the house. At the sight of everyone walking out onto the front deck, she shied away behind Adele.

Esme and Carlisle were the first to see Maxine, and Esme brought her hands up to her face as tears brimmed her eyes. Carlisle smiled pridefully at the sight of the little girl hiding behind his daughter. They both made their way towards them as the others ogled over her. Even Bella was there, smiling at the little girl. But Bella was always there.

Adele bent down and signed slowly, as she was still learning. "Max, this is my daddy. His name is C-A-R-L-I-S-L-E." They paid close attentjon to how she signed, hoping to eventually pick it up as she did.  "And this is Esme - she's like my mommy." Max looked at Carlisle and Esme and shyly hid her face behind her curly locks.  "This is Maxine." She introduced. "She's deaf, but she can read your lips."

Carlisle held out his hand to Max in a playful manner. "It is lovely to meet you, Max." 

She shyly shook his hand and Carlisle shook it playfully for a long time until she giggled. Then, she held Adele's hand as they walked over to meet the rest of the family, feeling more comfortable with Adele by the minute.

"Everyone, this is Maxine." She winked at her. "But she prefers Max."

Everyone introduced themselves and gathered inside to become further acquainted with her. Esme laughed pleasantly as she gazed in awe at the lavish furniture and luxuries within the humungus house. They settled into the living room and Max sat sideways in Adele's lap so that she could sign and Adele could translate for her.

"You are all so pretty."

Adele chuckled as Edward told them what she said. "She said we are all pretty."

"Thank you," Rosalie beamed. "But you are the real cutie."

Max blushed and shied away again. Carlisle noticed how comfortable Max was with Adele already and smiled. "Max, do you have any questions?"

She contemplated it for a moment, but then shook her head. Alice stood up and beamed. "Let's show Max her new bedroom. I work on it all night and all day to get it ready."

"Thank you, Alice." Adele said as Max took her hand and led her upstairs. Alice winked and bounced in her step as she gave her a small tour.

As Adele and Rosalie followed them, Adele spoke to Edward in his mind. Where did Paul go? Downstairs, he was watching Bella and Esme make a late lunch. He had to go on a last minute patrol, but he said he'll be back tonight. She left it at that.

They walked down the hall from Adele's bedroom and Alice opened the door to reveal what was once a man cave was now a little girl's dream room. The walls were painted a light gray to contrast agaisnt the dark-wooden floors that carried throughout the house. Her bed, which was framed with railings so she wouldn't fall out during the night, sported a flowery pink comforter and fluffy pillows. A wooden play chest was pushed against the end of the bed, covered with throw pillows. The glass walls were covered with gray drapes to match the walls.

Forget Me Not | ✓On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara