48| The Weight of the World

48
Breaking Dawn   [Pt.2]
T h e   W e i g h t
o f   t h e   W o r l d

THE NEXT AFTERNOON, Adele was dejectedly participating in a conversation with Eleazar and Kate, who were discussing how interesting it was that Adele could manipulate Bella's mind while Edward couldn't read her thoughts.

"Edward," Eleazar spoke up as the young couple followed their daughter outside to where they stood. Eleazar had the ability to identify the gifts of other vampires.  "You didn't tell me your wife is a shield."

"What's a shield?" Bella inquired interestedly. She didn't think she had a power.

Edward gazed at her curiously. "The ones I've met are so...different."

"It is a defensive talent. It is why Edward could not read you mind even before." Adele nodded. She always suspected that Bella had some sort of inhuman ability as a human. Her expression darkened. "It is also why Aro couldn't."

Eleazar regarded her curiously. Like Renesmee, Adele was an anomaly of their kind. "How is it that you can?"

"Bella has a very powerful gift, and so do I."

Adele had been distant ever since Paul drove away with the kids yesterday. If she knew for sure that it'd only be a week or two before she saw them again, she wouldn't feel so terrible, but she wasn't sure if she'd ever see them again. That's what haunted her most.

She snapped out of her brooding as Kate grabbed Bella's hand and summoned electricity. The blue electricity crackled on Kate's hand, but while it took Bella by surprise, she felt no pain whatsoever. Kate smirked at her. "Oh, yeah, she's a shield, alright."

"Shoulda put her on her ass." Garret spoke up daringly as he walked up with Carlisle. He looked charmingly at her. "Or your voltage has been exaggerated."

With her smirk growing, she daringly held her palm out to him as the electricity crackled at her fingers. "Maybe it only works on the weak."

Grinning, Garrett inched towards her with his finger out. Despite the heavy burden weighing in her shoulders, Adele found herself grinning as he neared her.

"Garrett, I wouldn't." Edward warned. He had only come in contact with Kate's electrical abilities a few times before and since then, he'd kept his distance.

He deliberately ignored Edward's warning – he wanted her to admire  his boldness – and they all watched intently as the tip of his finger touch her palm. The blue electricity crackled around his finger and groaning,zero he dropped to his knees and retracted his hand. She smirked down at him.

He looked up at her with an admirable, lopsided smile. Everyone could sense the chemistry – electricity, if you will – between them.  "You are one amazing woman."

A tree branch snapped in the distance, bringing their attention to the woods. Adele and Carlisle sped in front of everyone and  Jacob and a few younger wolves clumsily chased two blurs –  vampires – that were coming toward them. Carlisle and Adele, with much dread, vaguely recognized the prancing vampires. When the landed eight in front of them, a tall burly man and a short thin, they were unfortunately right. 

"Vladimir, Stefan, you are a long way from home." Adele commented suggestively.

Kate walked up behind Adele and muttered irritatedly. "What are they doing here?"

The Denalis and the Cullens met Vladimir and Stefan many years ago, and didn't much like them even then.

"We heard the Volturi were moving against you, but that you would not stand alone." Vladimir spoke up in his thick Russian accent.