21 | Throwing Rocks

21
Eclipse
T h r o w i n g   R o c k s

ADELE ALWAYS LOVED to read, and her book of choice was Shakepeare's Romeo and Juliet, which she must've read a hundred times over. She couls recite every line of the appraised play before it became the cliché in modern times. Beneath all of that heartbreak and fear of losing people she loves, she was a hopeless romantic just like any other girl. She believed in chilvalry and moonlit walks in the garden. She valued simple kindnesses, unwavering compassion, and even the amorous clichés...such as pelting rocks at her windows in a completely obvious way to get attention.

It was ten-forty that night when Paul Lahote threw the first rock. She remembered it well because she thought a bird had smashed into the wall (sadly, it happened all too often since the walls were transparent) and she got up go investigate. When she found nothing unsual, she had every intention of returning to the reality within her novel, but then she watched a second rock bounce right off of the glass. Another followed and then another.

With her book in hand, she opened the doors that led onto the deck and looked over the railing. He was readied himself to throw another until his gaze landed on her. He shot her a guilty grin and dropped the handful of rocks into the grass. 

"Are you mad?" she queried with the ghost of a smile on her face. Her hair hung messily around her face, reaching only her neck after her episode a few weeks ago.

He shrugged. "Possibly."

Shs crossed her arms. "You are going to break the glass."

"Aww, come on. This was the perfect cheesy movie moment and you just ruined it." he huffed melodramatically and examinex the glass walls of the home. He couldn't understand why anyone would want something so...open and public. "Besides, I bet the glass is bullet proof..."

"So I made friends with a smartass."

"Well, I'll have to be a hell of a lot smarter to match up to you." he said smoothly.

She rolled her eyes and chucked her book at his head, but with his quick reflexes, he caught it instead. He waved it mockingly. "You aren't getting this back now."

"Whatever." She leaned comfortably against the railing with her arms crossed over her chest. Even in a simple white shirt and black leggings, she was breath-taking. "I've read it a hundred times over."

He examined the cover in which a woman peered down at a brazen-looking knight from her window. He recognized fhe title at once, and just by observing the wead and tear of the book, he knew it had to be an old copy. 

"Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare." He quirked an eyebrow. "You read Shakespeare?" She nodded and he looled at the book again. "I'm really going to have to get a lot smarter if you're on Shakespearean level."

She laughed at his intidimated demeanor. "Well, I do I have more than three-hundred years over you, Lahote."

"Damn, an older woman." He sounded just like Emmett when he said that. "That's hot."

She chuckled. "You sound like my brother." Being compared to Emmett made him want to scratch his own eyes out, but he refrained from making those feelings obvious. "So, I'm sure you didn't come here to talk Shakespeare."

"Nope. I want to show you something." He crossed his arms. She quirked an eyebrow as curiosity crept upon her and a sly grin formed on his face. "But you have to come down to find out what it is." She stared hesitantly at him. She was already ready to retire for the night... "I'll throw more rocks at your window."