10 | Humanity

10
New Moon
H u m a n i t y

AFTER THE ORDEAL with Laurent and the Quileute wolves, Adele returned to the vacation house. An entire week passed until Bella called Adele and told her that she discovered everything about the wolves after she witnessed Jacob Black shift. She also told her that the pack spoke very highly of her despite their general opinion of vampires. After that conversation, Adele was comfortable with leaving Bella alone in Forks now that she had Jacob and the pack.

When Adele returned to the house in Texas last week, she found another note, this time resting on her neatly made bed. To anyone else, it would've been creepy, but to her she only noticed the mystery person's growing anxiety to meet her.

 To anyone else, it would've been creepy, but to her she only noticed the mystery person's growing anxiety to meet her

Seeing as they provided no address, she assumed she'd be getting another note.

Apart from that, she couldn't help but notice she felt a hundred times better. She felt more alive and open than she'd ever been in centuries and somehow, she had a feeling it had nothing to do with being away from Forks or her family. Her mind wandered back to the silver wolf with his strong legs, handsome coat, and mesmerizing brown eyes–

Her phone rang. She picked it up and had to hold the phone faraway from her ear as Alice screeched from the other end. "ADELE? ADELE, ARE YOU THERE?"

Adele tensed, "Yes. What's wrong?"

She didn't make much sense. "I HAD A VISION – BELLA'S IN TROUBLE – SHE JUMPED OFF A FREAKING CLIFF – HEADING TO FORKS – NEED YOU THERE!" the line went dead and Adele let out a string of colorful words. Can I go one fucking week without this drama? But she already started grabbing things when Alice was shrieking and ran out of the house. It would take hours for her to get there. She reached her car and found another note wedged in her door handle. Without sparing it a glance, she shoved it into her bag and climbed into her car, setting out for the long trip.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

Thirteen hours later, after driving at one-hundred miles per hour on deserted freeways and roads, Adele arrived at Bella's house and barely parked her car properly before she ran over the grass to reach the front door. Charlie's police cruiser wasn't there. The door was left ajar and Adele feared the worse. Had Victoria gotten to her? Did she push Bella off of a cliff? "BELLA? BELLA!"

Alice was standing in the middle of the small living room wearing a wine-purple trench coat and clutching the strap of her bag nervously. When the sisters saw each other, they ran at each other and hugged. When they pulled away, Alice sighed, "My god, the two of them have got us running around for them like crazy."