49 | Christmas

49
Breaking Dawn  [Pt.2]
C h r i s t m a s

"SPEAKING AS SOMEONE who has been through a lot of shit in her lifetime, I can confidently say that I do not like surprises." Adele muttered as Paul guided her through the house woods. Despite leading her over tree roots and rocks, he was surprised at how agile she was even while blindfolded and in heels. She smirked. "However, I can get used to being blindfolded."

It was Christmas Eve night and the festivities were on at the Cullen house with all of their guests. After Adele had hung up her call with Max, Paul told her he was taking her somewhere for Christmas, and so there they were, trekking through the woods just east of the Cullen house.

"Maybe we can work something out later tonight." He whispered in her ear and she shivered as his warm breath reached her exposed neck.

"Tease." She muttered as he continued to guide her along.

He laughed at her impatience. "We're almost there."

They walked a few more yards. "Almost where?"

"Here." He moved her up a few steps and drew in a deep, nervous breath before taking her blindfold off.

The first thing she saw was his excited smile and he stepped aside. Standing before them, two-stories tall and decorated in Christmas decor of all sorts, was a brand new modern house built just for her. Unlike the Cullen house, floor-to-ceiling windows were fixed into an Appalachian-ledge stone exterior. It was a huge house fixed right in the center of a flat clearing she vaguely recognized. She noticed the fireflies flitting around, twinkling along with th colorful Christmas lights over the hedges and bushes, and realized that this was the clearing that they brought Max to so they she could catch fireflies.

She was speechless. "Paul?"

He beamed at her and wrapped his arms around her from behind, nuzzling his face in her neck. "Merry Christmas, Adele."

She stared at the beautiful home. "Are you saying...?"

"It's ours." He nodded, delighted to know that he could still surprise the all-knowing woman. "Carlisle and I started the project right after we adopted Asa. Of course, we had help, but I did take part in planning it all and some hands-on stuff. I mean, because I know–"

Adele turned and hungrily kissed him, wrapping her arms around his neck. She couldn't believe that he did this for her. She had wanted her own home for a while so that she could have more privacy and so that her kids could have their own space, but she'd never voiced it aloud. This step – this major step in their relationship and life together – this was all him. He kissed her deliciously, relishing in the passionate moment until she pulled away with a jubilant smile on her face.

"I cannot believe you did all of this." She exclaimed, taking his hand as she gaped at the house. "What's more – I really cannot believe that you managed to hide it."

He shrugged and suppressed a frown. She had a lot on her shoulders lately. "With all of the distractions, it wasn't too hard.

"I love it."

"I was going to wait, but I figured it would brighten your mood, given recent events." He continued optimistically as he admired her under the twinkling hues of the Christmas lights. "And after our encounter with the Volturi, we and the kids can all move into here and have a fresh start."

She loved the idea of really starting a life here. Max would be enrolled in school next year and she'd have friends over. Asa could get his own room. Paul and her wouldn't want for anything.