Chapter Six: Dateless Dates And Cures Part One

Carlisle

The ride back from the hospital was quite awkward. Neither one of us knew what to say to each other, especially after hearing what the doctor said about the scratch not being there, it was really just a game changer.

But I knew why he couldn't see it. Though it wasn't like I could just come out and say it. No one would believe me and it'd get me a one way ticket to crazy town with her.

There was just too much at stake; her life, and mine. Not only that but things we both worked hard for.

In the mist of my thoughts, I decided to speak up when we pulled up to her house. But I struggled to find the right words.

"Eleonora... If you don't want to go tonight-"

"No," she quickly blurted and even seemed surprise by her own outburst. "I want to go. I need something to distract me from what just happened. So I'll go get cleaned up and I'll see you at seven."

She leaned in to kiss my cheek and slowly got out of the car. She looked so shaken and I wanted to stay and help her. But then again, I was glad she didn't ask me to stay, I had my own errands to take care of before I took her out. There was only so much I could do in two hours and a half hours. After her accusation, they spent hours upon hours upon hours doing tests; physically, emotionally, mentally. They thought maybe I was causing her emotional distress. Then they physically had her transported for a psychiatric evaluation that she wasn't too thrilled about. We wasted our entire day there and it was just got worse. They all but told her she's a borderline schizophrenic with hallucinations and she did not take that lightly.

But I knew they were wrong, she wasn't crazy; I saw it too.

Though that wasn't saying much.

I made sure she was safely in her hits before I took off to my own destination.

What was happening to Eleonora was beginning to feel like a bad case of déjà vu. And if it was what I thought. It wasn't going to and well for either of us.

I pulled up to an old ratty building, reeking of abandonment. But nonetheless, it was a necessary step to ensure Eleonora's scratch didn't turn into something fatal.

"My boy," An old weak voice called out to me. I sighed heavily, hating I had to come to him for help. "I never thought I'd see you again."

"The feeling is mutual," I mentioned curtly. "But I need your help."

"Anything for my son," he agreed and I cringed at the sound of the word. "Come in."

I followed him through some halls plagued with moss, dirt, bugs and a few more of my least favorite things. The dust and grime filled my lungs until I erupted in a coughing fit.

"Are you okay?" He wondered and I waved him off, ignoring him. I wasn't ready to accept his caring. He didn't care seven years from now, why care now? "What can I do you for?"

I bit my tongue and swallowed my pride, remembering I was doing this for Eleonora. "There's a girl-" he cut me off by waggling my eyebrows, but I tried to pretend that didn't happen. "She needs my help and I don't know how to help her. But if I don't, I'm afraid something bad is going to happen to her."

"What kind of help?" He wondered. I lift my shirt to show him and his eyes went as wide as saucers. It pained me to have to come to him. But I cared too much about Eleonora to let my pride get in the way.

"Not again." He shook his head. It was a close call last time. But I was hoping this time it wouldn't be.

"Will you help me?" I asked although I wasn't really requesting. He owed me big time for all of his bullshit. This was the least he could do.

"Of course, just give me time to-"

"Fine you got it. I'll be back in in two hours. Is that enough time?" He nodded and I left without another word to him. For a while I just sat in my car with my head on the steering wheel. Of all people. Why. Why Eleonora.

"WHY NOT ME!" I roared. I felt helpless. If my father managed to get what I needed, there was no guaranteeing she'd make it. It was happening again. And I couldn't even stop it.

I laid in my room staring at that ceiling wondering how this was all going to play out. If it played out. I was slowly but surely beginning to regret my existence. I should have left her alone. She'd be fine if she never cross paths with Carlisle Evans.

"For someone who has a date tonight, you look depressed." London mentioned casually as he peered into my room. I shrugged.

"It's not a date." I corrected even though I told Eleonora it was. Well. An educational date at the very least.

"You're picking her up, right?" He asked. I sighed, knowing where this was going, I nodded.

"Yes."

"You're paying, right?"

"Yes but-"

"You like her, don't you?"

"I do," I admitted sheepishly. "But-"

"It's a date." He declared. I shook my head.

"More like a dateless date." I compromised. He grinned from ear to ear in triumph. I hated that bastardly grin. Moreover, I hated when he was right.

"Aren't you late?" He asked nodding toward the clock. I swore under my breath and grabbed my car keys. I killed more time than I wanted while mindlessly staring. All my thoughts kept pointing to the same outcome and I just wanted it to stop.

As I fled out the door, I heard him calling, "I won't wait up!"

I made a difficult decision to go to see my father before going to pick up Eleonora. Even if I had a little bit of a chance of saving her, I was going to take it. Besides, I didn't want him to think I didn't need it anymore when I might need it now more than ever.

I rushed down the dark and grim halls until I reached his station. He was standing there, gray hair and all, with a smile on his face.

"What is it? Why are you smiling?" I asked. It wasn't a usual thing, but he shrugged nonchalantly.

"I got to see my son twice today, it doesn't get better than that." He responded and I felt my chest tighten.

"I want to talk to you one of these days about what I did and why I did it. Can you grant me that?"

In seven years, I hadn't had the desire to listen to him. But now, I did. He handed me the bottle and I nodded.

Funny how earlier to day I wouldn't have given him a second chance. But if he could give Eleonora a chance, I could give him a chance to make it right.

"Sure. But look I've got to get going." I agreed and awkwardly gave him a hug. I took off to Eleonora's house hoping she could forgive me for being late.

But when I got out of the car, I noticed I a dark figure at her door. I felt a lump in my throat and a pit in my stomach.

He was going to get her again. And I couldn't stop him.