Chapter Twelve: Hallucinations And Déjà Vu

"Miss Schneider, it's time to take your pills." The nice nurse told Elli. She hated those pills so much. Especially when she first started taking them because she had so many side effects. They always gave her a massive headache and she ended up staring at her padded ceiling wishing she could just die. But she never did, she always just fell asleep, and repeated it again the next day.

She looks up at the lady with a tired smile and accepts them. She learned early on that it was best not to put up a fight in a psych ward. They already thought she was crazy; fighting them would only make them sedate her with a needle.

And she hated needles.

She put them in her mouth, drinks the water and hand her the paper cup back before she checks under Elli’s tongue. Patients had a nag for hiding their pills under their tongues for multiple reasons. Either to collect them to take them for an ultimate high or a lethal overdose.

She didn't like them enough to do either.

Once she's satisfied, she leaves the room. Elli spit out the pills and tucks them away. She had gotten good at hiding them in the back of her mouth. She wasn't going to take something to incapacitate herself. She had enough problems as is. One being, she was in a psych ward.

She kind of wish this psych ward was dirty and grimmer. Not clean and pristine, with nice workers as if it was. It would make her want to leave as soon as possible. But it was comfortable here. And even though she thought she was falsely committed, she couldn't be sure that she wasn't falsely committed. With everything that had taken place in the few months, she couldn't be sure she didn't belong here.

She rolls over onto her side and watch as I struggled against the nurses trying to hold me down. She begged me day after day not to fight them, but day after day, I did. It always ended up the same way, each and every day. She hears a loud thud and she look at me while I’m being held down by two men in white and I’m screaming for her. She knows I’m trying to tell her something, but my words sound like white noise to her. She looks at my mouth and she sees my lips moving, but she can't hear a word I’m saying.

I’m squirming, kicking and yelling something at her. And finally she make out the words, I love you. Once they give me my needle full of antipsychotic medicine, I stops fighting and suddenly become limb. My start to close and I sense that she’s getting worried. This had never happened before; they must be upping my dosage.

They throw me in a room with her. While nice, this ward was somewhat crowded and while they saw as harmful to ourselves, they knew we would never hurt each other.

I lie on his back, seemingly gasping for air as I dazed in and out of consciousness. She wait until the nurses disappear and she run over to me to make sure I’m okay, I had to be okay.

"Carlisle! Stay awake, please. She needs you to stay awake. Please, please don't go." She pleads as tears rolled down her face. Why was this happening to her! I was all she had right now, she was afraid that if I fell asleep, I’d never wake up. She couldn't deal with another loss.

"I can't Elli, listen to me," My voice is barely audible and she had to place her head closer to my mouth. "I’m going to be fine, but I cannot stay awake much longer."

"Carlisle, please."

"Lay on me, we'll be okay, I promise." I request and she complies. She feels like there's no hope for us anymore. We were going to rot in here. We didn't know who committed us, all we knew was that she was admitted for self-mutilation as well as hallucinations and I was being treated for hallucinations. They didn't treat her because she wasn't resisting it. She told them she wasn't having any hallucinations and the tests proved they didn't. I didn't comply so they assumed I was, that's all Elli knew.

I put my arm around her and barley managed to kiss her head before I whispered, "We've got to get out of here."

She nodded in agreement.

The question was, which one of us were actually crazy?

“Not again!” I screamed myself awake. I looked around and I was no longer in a padded cell, I was back in my room, all alone.

Or so I thought.

He laughed. “Bad dream?”

“Leave me alone.” I sighed and got out of bed to find something to calm my nerves. I couldn’t remember the last time I had that dream, but it hadn’t occurred in years. But this time, it was so realistic. As if, it was going to happen at any moment.

“Now, that’s no way to talk to your favorite person. Did you make your move?” He asked and I nodded.

“I put him in the hospital. He damned near died. Now Elli thinks I’m a monster and wants nothing to do with me.” I told him through clenched teeth. “What do you want with Connor Scott anyways?”

“Don’t worry about it. I’ll get what I want soon enough. In the meantime, you need to expose Connor Scott for what he really is. Then little Eleonora will come running into your arms wondering how she could be so stupid. Then we both win.” He explained nonchalantly. He was ruthless, heartless and lacked morals, but if his plan would get me Elli, I would do it.

“What if he tells her first?” I wondered the obvious. This was the huge flaw in his plan. It would work assuming Connor is still a secret wielding bastard. But if he told Elli before I did, I was out of luck.

“While possible, we both know Eleonora. She won’t want to be with a man of his being. If he tells her first, saves you from looking like the jealous has been who lost his chance and is trying to tear apart her relationship.” He reasoned and I supposed he’s right.

“How do I get him to tell her first then?” I asked and he shrugged me off as if I should already know.

“Go the hospital and threaten to expose him. That simple.” He rationalized and I nodded once more. I got dressed and went to the hospital. I knew his bodyguards were making their switch within the next twenty minutes and it was only a fifteen-minute drive. If I could switch in before they saw me, this would work out perfectly.

I charmed the nurse into thinking I was the half-brother of Connor. We looked nothing alike, but I simply told her that I took after my mom. She grinned and informed me that Connor was no longer at the hospital, but she said he hadn’t been checked out. Maybe he was running from something.

I got back in my car and went over to Elli’s. Perhaps I could catch her before she went back to the hospital. Maybe Connor fled in attempt to hide his identity.

I knocked on the door expecting to get Elli, but got someone else entirely.

“Who is it?” The girl on the other side of the door.

“Carlisle. Carlisle Evans, I’m a friend of Eleonora’s.” I stated and there was a moment of silence.

“You are no friend of Elli’s. What do you want?” The girl asked much to my frustration. But I swallowed it and answered her question.

“I just wanted to talk to Elli—“

“Well you’re out of luck. She’s gone. Don’t bring your ass back here or you will regret it.” She said before there was complete silence. I didn’t want to test the girl, she seemed serious and I had no idea what she looked like or what she was capable of.

I got back into my car for the final time and called the last person I wanted to.