Chapter 2: Life changing opportunity

" Hello Ms. Sherman.", Mr. Manning says to me as we shake hands.

" Hi it's a pleasure to meet you sir.", I say as pleasantly as possible and trying to not show my nervousness. After we greet one another we sit at the table and he presents me with some confidential files from his briefcase.

" What's your status here in the FBI?", he asks me with a very sirius face.

" I'm in the Behavioral Analysis Unit (BAU) as a profiler.", I say my rank as if my life depends on it.

"How many cases have you worked since you arrived here?", he asks to see if I can actually answer him, which I can.

" I have worked over 178 cases since coming to the BAU.", I answer with as much confidence as I can muster. " May I ask what this interview is about?", I ask trying not to ruin any possible opportunities in my future.

" This interview is for a probable promotion for you in the next few months. Now tell me about yourself. What you like, what you don't like, things like that.", He tells me.

" Ok well umm...I'm 22 years old, I'm about 5' 6, and in perfect health. I like to read, listen to music, and draw. I'm a very outdoorsy person. I work very well with other people, I am obedient and am very adaptable to any situation. I can use almost any weapon given to me and I'm also a good shot.", I list for him as if this is a normal conversation with a normal person, but the entire time I'm talking to him he only has one expression on his face. Seriousness. I then start to fidget with things around me because all he's doing is writing in his files. But then I hear him say something under his breathe, "Just like her father.", or something like that but I ignore it.

" Alright then everything is set. Next week go to this address and follow the instructions on the back. There I will give you a brief examination to see if you have all the right requirements for the job I need you for.", He finishes.

" I understand sir. Thank you for this opportunity.", I say realizing that this interview was shorter than I expected. As he leaves the room I get a phone call from Ashley.

" Hey Artemis, Jo and I chose a date for the wedding can you clear it with your boss real quick?", She says right when I answer her. Like normal.

"Sure just give be a minute. What's the date?", I respond as I'm walking to my boss's office.

" It's the 21st.", she exclaims threw the phone to me.

"Um.. excuse me sir can I request a day off on the 21st, please.", I ask shyly. I'm not very out going with my boss if you can't tell.

"May I ask why?", he says.

"My friends wedding that day and I was wondering if I could attend. If I don't have any work that day that is.", I say trying not to make it sound like I'm begging.

"I'll pull a few strings for you, but you'll owe me if I get it for you.",He says with a smile like he just pulled a trick on someone.

"OK sir, thank you sir.", I exclaim as I walk away smiling.

" K Ash, I probably got that day off for you." I tell her then a scream of happiness comes through the phone. And right as she screams I put the phone away from me at arms length that way my ear drums won't burst.

"HOHOHHOH thank you Artemis thank you. ok bye TTYL." She tells me then hangs up before I can even say bye to her.Oh well. When I get to my desk there's a note and package on it. To me in my line of work this isn't always a good sign. I grabbed the note and began to read it.

Dear Artemis,

Please enjoy the gifts inside and please forgive us for what we have done to you.We never meant for any of it to happen please under stand .

Sincerely,

LS and HB

I didn't understand what that meant but I'll be open minded about this and accept the "gifts" they sent to me. As I was just about to open the package I stopped and thought it would be best if I opened it at home where no one especially Shane can ask if I have a special admirer or something, plus my shift is almost over so I can wait.

* at home *

Well after my usual routine I'm finally going to open this package from a LS and HB I don't know who they are but I might figure it out later. ' Now let's see what's in the box ' I think to myself while cutting of tape with scissors. Once I open the box I see a cool new black tight fitting ankle length trench coat (I've always wanted one), a new double leg holster for my guns at work ( I needed one. Mine was starting to tear), then there was a book about demons and monsters( To me it's pretty cool. I alway need something to read on the plane to a new case). Now I feel grateful to this LS and HB. I wonder ' Does this package have a return address so I can write a letter the them saying thank you.' [picked up box looked around it. Then took letter and examined it.] Nope it doesn't. Either someone sent a bike messenger to do it or they delivered it them selves. " ' sigh' I really wanted to say thanks to them.", I say to myself [Looks at clock]," I better go to bed it's already 12:10."

* on the other side of town *

"Lets hope she liked her present.", person 1 says to reassure person 2.

"I don't know. What if she doesn't ? Remember we don't know her to well.", p2 says still not very sure about it.

"Trust me if she's anything like us, she'll love the gifts we sent her.", p1 still trying to bring p2's hope up.

"Still, what if she's nothing like us? ", p2 still not convinced.

" Well we've learned a little bit about her then.", p1 says ending the conversation with a simple truth.