Chapter thirteen~ Down In Flames

"...Will. Will, wake up! Come on dude, we need your help."

Will opened his eyes. He squinted at the bright light within his hospital room. Nico and Drake were standing next to his bed.

"What...?" he mumbled.

"Didn't you hear it? The announcement?" Drake asked. Will shook his head.

"Well, to put it simply, Dan...Dan's dead." Nico confessed.

Will gasped. "W-What? When, h-how, w-"

"We'll explain everything later. As for now, the bear said he cured the disease, so you should be able to help us investigate." Drake explained. "How'd he do that?" Will asked. "Don't know, but whatever it was seemed to work, since you aren't talking our ears off right now." Nico pointed out. "...Yeah, I guess so." Will realized.

"Anyway, come with us, we'll show you where it happened." Drake said, helping Will out of bed.

After a short walk, Will saw what happened.

In the place of the music venue, was a darkened and charred pile of wood and plastic. The smell of the place was enough to make Will want to leave that instant.

Two people were dragging something out of the wreckage. Another person was on their knees, watching silently.

As Will approached, he saw that what the two people, Charlie and Kellz, were pulling out Dan's body. Kneeling at the side was Phil, face somehow paler and body shaking.

"Leave him alone for a bit, alright? He's...he's not doing good." Nico muttered. Will nodded.

"H-Here he is..." Charlie said, pulling out the body completely.

Dan was just as burnt and charred as the Titty Typhoon was. His back was bent at a strange angle too.

"What happened...?" Will asked in disbelief. "The entire place burnt down. We don't know why, or how, it just did. While most of us made it out...Dan wasn't as lucky. I'm guessing one of the ceiling boards must have fallen on him." Kellz said. "Yeah, that's why his back's all messed up. Also why he didn't get out alive." Charlie added. "Duh, that's obvious." Nico mumbled.

"Anyway, how did you guys put the fire out?" Will asked. "The bear came around after we realized that Dan wasn't with us. Something tells me he would have left it going until one of us died." Kellz said. "Do you think he was the one who set it?" Drake asked. "Now, why would I do that?" Monokuma said, showing up like always. "I dunno, maybe because you're a psychopath!" Kellz spat. "Oh, how you hurt my frail, cotton heart. But really, I can't kill people myself. It has to be one of you guys so that you can feel the most despair!" Monokuma said. "You killed Sky and Alex." Drake pointed out. "Yeah, because they were criminals, killing you guys just as planned! But, since they weren't very sneaky, they had to be punished." the bear explained.

"Let's ignore him. More importantly, we need to investigate." Kellz said. "Right. First, could someone tell me what happened at the party?" Will asked. "It's wasn't really anything special at first. Me and Phil were the first to arrive and set everything up. After that it was Dan, Kellz and Charlie. Last was DanTDM and Nappy. Once everyone who could be there was there, we started playing music and hanging out and what not. It was an hour or so after we started when the fire started. I got everyone to evacuate just in time." Drake explained. "Well, not everyone..." Kellz muttered. "Right..." Drake mumbled. Truth Bullet- Drake's testimony.

"Speaking of everyone, was anyone else hurt in the fire?" Will asked. "Physically, no, everyone else is fine. Emotionally, Phil is, well...look at him." Kellz said. Will glanced over to Phil, who hadn't moved from his spot on the ground at all ever since he arrived. "Don't bother trying to talk to him, he won't say a word." Drake said. Will nodded.

"Hey, Will, come look at this." Charlie called over from the body. Will walked beside him and looked over the body. Charlie motioned towards the awkward been in Dan's back.

"That's where boards fell on him. I'm guessing he could have made it if it hadn't fallen, since everyone else is fine." Charlie explained. Truth Bullet- Dan's back wound.

"Hey, didn't you come in with Dan when you arrived to the party? Did you notice anything strange about him?" Will asked. "Not really. Everything seemed fine before the fire started." Charlie confessed. Truth Bullet- Charlie's testimony.

"Do you know how the fire started in the first place?" Will asked. "Not really. I know that it kinda smelt like gasoline during the party, but I thought it was just from the decorative fires on the ceiling." Charlie explained. Truth Bullet- Gasoline smell. "Do you think those decorative fires were tampered with or something?" Will asked. "I have no idea. Dan and Phil were in charge of the lights and stuff, so if you really want to know, you'll need to get it out of Phil somehow." Charlie said.

"Oh, and before you go, I found this." Charlie said, handing Will a burnt piece of red plastic. "What is it?" Will asked, looking it over. "It might be from a bottle of gasoline. It might be the killer's, so I thought it might be important." Charlie explained. Truth Bullet- Burnt gasoline bottle.

Will walked off, surveying the burnt music venue. Hardly anything was identifiable, and what little he could recognize didn't seem important. That was until his eyes caught on a shining piece of metal with buttons on it. The control panel for the lights. Will walked closer to get a better look, and saw something he hadn't noticed before. Above each button was a label etched into the metal board, telling you what each button controlled. However, Will noticed that something was covering the label for one of the buttons. After scratching it off with his finger nail, he saw that the label was for the decorative fire. Truth Bullet- Button labels. Truth Bullet- Covered fire label.

"Hey Will!" Nappy called, walked towards Will. "Hm? What is it?" Will asked. "I was checking out Rocket Punch earlier, and found this." Nappy said, handing Will a spray bottle. "Isn't this...air freshener? How is this connected to the case?" Will questioned. "Smell it. Don't spray it, just try opening it and smelling it." Nappy instructed. Will shrugged and did as he was told. When he smelled it, he was hit with a strong, unpleasant smell. "Ugh, what is this? Gasoline?" Will gaged. "That's what I think. This could be how the killed got gasoline into the music venue." Nappy explained. Truth Bullet- Spray bottle of gasoline.

"Wasn't Phil involved in setting up the party? Would he know about this?" Will asked. "He would, sure, but you probably can't get him to talk about. All he's done since we found Dan is sit there, staring off in to nothing." Nappy said. "I'm gonna try talking to him anyway. He holds some of our most important clues." Will said. Nappy raised his eyebrows and shrugged. "Knock yourself out."

Will came over to Phil and sat next to him. Phil didn't react.

"...Hey." Will said. Nothing.

"...So, you helped Drake set up, right? What did you both do?" Will asked. Silence.

"...You and Dan were in charge of the lights and stuff, so I've heard. How did that go?" Will asked. Phil did nothing.

Will sat there and stared at Phil for a moment. Phil looked dead inside, with glazed over eyes and a blank expression. Will sighed and got up to leave, when he heard something from Phil.

"What was that?" Will asked.

Phil paused, before saying it again. "...He's...a horrible partner...didn't let me touch it, only let me spray that gross stuff..." Phil mumbled, only just loud enough for Will to hear. Truth Bullet- Phil's testimony.

Ding dong!

"Alright everybody, time's up! Come on down so that we can start the trial!" Monokuma yelled from the monitor.

As everyone began to leave, Will looked down at Phil. He lightly tapped Phil with his foot.

"Come on, we gotta go." Will mumbled. Wordlessly, Phil stood up and walk beside Will.

Just like always, everyone entered the elevator down to the trial room. Once they arrived, they noticed two new portraits of Alex and Dan.

"Okay, it's time to start the trial to find Danny's killer! So, like always, ALL RISE!" Monokuma yelled, starting the trial.