chapter 15

Nightwhisper padded in step with the Darkclan leader. They entered the pitch black tunnel cautiously. Nightwhisper heard Leafstar gasp behind him but he ignored it. The cats silently heaved up the steep slope were Leafstar fell down. the last light of sunlight shone over the plain on the cats' backs. "Oh great starclan...its already sundown!" Stonestar growled. "You can sleep in my camp tonight we'll leave at dawn. You've travelled enough already for one day." Darkstar nodded wisely. Stonestar nodded curtly and Leafstar started back to the tunnel. Nightwhisper followed the cats back down the tunnel. Faint light peirced through the other side as they slid down the slope carefully. The black shapes moved along the growing darkness torwards the Darkclan camp. Eyes peeked out from the shadows and bore into Nightwhisper's soul. Silence surrounded them as Darkstar lead the way to a dried out bramble den. Stormfeather laid in his nest watching them with his pale grayish-green eyes glowing. Shadefrost plopped in his nest and fell asleep instantly. Heatherfrost purred and beckoned Nightwhisper to follow her. She prodded an empty nest beside hers. Her sweet aroma filled his nostrils. "You can sleep here if you want." Heatherfrost whispered. Nightwhisper turned to see Leafstar's cold yellow glare digging into his pelt. "Uh...I better sleep with my clanmates." Nightwhisper replied. Hurt sparkled in Heatherfrost's beautiful eyes."goodnight Heatherfrost! " Nightwhisper mewed quietly. Nightwhisper whipped around to leave when he stepped on Snowstorm's paw. "Oh I'm so sorry did I hurt you?" Nightwhisper meowed sympathetically as Snowstorm blinked open his yellow eyes and looked at Nightwhisper. "No I'm fire...I mean...fine." Snowstorm looked troubled as he rose to his paws his massive body hovered over Nightwhisper. His eartips brushed the brambles as he sped out of the den. Fire? What's wrong with him? Nightwhisper shook his head. It was none of his business anyway. Leafstar and Palmstripe choose there nests in the back of the den. He took an empty nest by Palmstripe and settled down. "Goodnight." Nightwhisper yawned.

"Nightwhisper wake up! We're leaving." Palmstripe prodded his side. Nightwhisper moaned and rolled over. "Come on! Every cats waiting for you!" Palmstripe yowled anxiously. Nightwhisper heaved a sigh and stumbled to his feet. His muscles were sore from walking. He blinked the sleep out of his eyes and stretched his jaws in a large yawn. His pelt prickled in embarrassment when he saw one piece of prey for him and everycat waiting. "Here. Eat this,then we'll leave." Leafstar pushed a very small rabbit torwards him. He ate the rabbit in quick large bites and gobbled it down aware of all cats staring at him and waiting. "Okay let's get moving" stonestar meowed. Moonstorm and Palmstripe raced ahead to the tunnel. Oh no they don't! Nightwhisper bunched his muscles and sprang full speed ahead passing Moonstorm and Palmstripe. Nightwhisper was the fastest of Leafclan everycat knew it. His lightweight body made it easier for him to fly through the air. But every time he ran too fast he tripped over his tail. He tried hard to control his speed,but he went too fast again and tripped caterwauling into the tunnel smacking the cold dirt floor. At least I beat them! Nightwhisper thought in triumph. Moonstorm sniffed at Nightwhisper. "You may run fast but you need to control your tail young one..." Moonstorm meowed helping him up."ha-ha..."he mumbled sarcastically. He climbed to the top of the tunnel and waited for the other to join him. Stonestar joined him,along with the others, and jumped on a nearby boulder. "This plain is all Darkclan territory. The part of the mountain you see is all stoneclan territory except the mooncave. Over there is a Marsh area were there are many willow trees. Darkclan and Stoneclan share that territory and now with you. A long time ago when we talked with ravenpaw about being leaders,he said the clans held a meeting of peace every full moon. In the eyes of starclan I would like to dedicate that area for the gatherings. From now on,every full moon we will meet at peace there. Does Leafclan agree?" Stonestar looked at Leafstar. "Leafclan agrees" Leafstar spoke for her clan. "Does Darkclan agree?" Stonestar asked Darkstar. "Yes,I think its a great idea." He meowed coldly. the cats started out for the marshy land. Spicepaw was trotting alongside Nightwhisper her fluffy,red fur bounced up and down.
The willows grew closer and closer. Nightwhisper felt cool wet ground under his feet. The gnarled old bark of the willows had catscraches in them. Long vines bushed Nightwhisper's pelt cooling him off. Stonestar and Darkstar lead the way through the willow woods to a clearing. Moss covered the ground everywhere making one huge nest. A few herbs were dotted here and there. Softsong ran to them instantly. Nightwhisper breathed in the humid air. The first chill of Leaf-fall pricked at his Night black fur. Leafstar was eying a big boulder in the clearing,damp moss blanketed it. "Stonestar! Darkstar! Check this out." Leafstar called leaping on the rock."we could use this like a High Rock for the leaders to announce." Leafstar mewed not taking her eyes off the rock."yes we could..." Darkstar muttered joining Leafstar. Nightwhisper left them to talk. He padded near snowstorm and looked to see what he was doing. snowstorm had strange fear in his yellow eyes. snowstorm sniffed the air cautiously. Suddenly snowstorm jerk his head up and fluffed up his fur." Fox!!" he yowled. A small red Fox bursted out of the bushes. The cats jumped into action immediately. Palmstripe ordered Spicepaw and Poisonpaw to protect sandkit While she and Moonstorm distracted the Fox. the cats shivered in shock and ran to fight the fox. "Attack!" Darkstar yowled jumping for the fox. Darkstar slashed his claws down the fox's side. The fox growled furiously snapping his jaws right were Darkstar was a heartbeat before. Nightwhisper's ran the help Darkstar. He toppled into the fox's legs tripping him . the fox turned around and bit his tail tip. He screetched in pain as the burning blood stained his white tail tip. He whipped around and lashed out blindly digging his claws across the fox's face. This made the fox mad,It charged at Nightwhisper angrily. Snowstorm saved Nightwhisper by heaving his huge body on the fox while Palmstripe and Shadefrost pinned the fox. The fox growled and snapped his jaws struggling underneath their paws. Heatherfrost bit the fox's neck killing it. Palmstripe and Shadefrost backed away like looking at the fox breathlessly. That was a close call! Snowstorm saved my life...but what's troubling him? Why does he have a spark of fear and deep secrets in his eyes?