Chapter 12

Chapter 12

From her place behind the barrier at the arrivals gate, Cheryl smiled to herself. Watching the happiness, the hugs, and the tears of joy from all the returning travelers gave her a warm feeling in the pit of her stomach.

At one time, not so long ago, she had wondered whether she would ever feel happiness again. On his way out the door, Ashley had stomped her heart into the floor and ground it with his foot like you might do to a cigarette butt to distinguish it. And as he went, he had distinguished her happiness, her belief in love, and her hope that either one would ever return.

But, here she was. Moments away from being one of those people she was observing so closely. Moments away from rushing into her lover’s arms like they did in all the romantic films she had seen. But, Cheryl knew she didn’t need a picturesque airport moment to know she was happy or that she was in love. She knew it every time she looked into Kimberley’s eyes or heard her sweet laugh. Every time she held her in her arms or every time they kissed. Still, it felt good to be standing in a public place, after all the humiliation and grief she had been through, saying Suck it world! I’m one of the happy people again!

Leaning on the barrier, she sighed a frustrated sigh. The screen above her head told her that the flight had landed twenty minutes ago. Twenty minutes! How long more was she going to have to wait?

“1…2…3…now!” she murmured, a fierce look on her face, willing the frosted glass to part and reveal the love of her life. “1…2…3…NOW!”

Nothing.

“Uuugggghhh!! Come on!” she howled, earning more than a few concerned looks as well as a few flashes from paparazzi cameras. How the f*ck did they know I’d be here! she thought incredulously before adjusting her annoyed expression to a pleasant one. The last thing she needed was a front page spread to commemorate the frustration of waiting!

Luckily for Cheryl, she didn’t have to wait much longer. After a few more minutes of tolerating the accumulating photographers, the doors peeled back and there she was.

Flipping her hair back from her face with her free hand, she yawned. Cheryl smiled. Any thoughts of rushing to greet her like in some romantic movie were fast forgotten as she found her legs rooted to the spot. Instead she waited for her girlfriend to see her, her heart rate quickening with each step closer she came.

After what seemed like an eternity, Kimberley spotted her, a huge smile engulfing her tanned face. But she didn’t rush either. Her pace remained steady as she walked forward, her eyes never straying from her destination and, as she stopped in front of Cheryl, she placed her suitcase beside her.

“Hi baby” she grinned sweetly before looping her arms around Cheryl’s waist and tilting her head forward so that they’re foreheads were touching. As Cheryl’s arms snaked around her neck, Kimberley barely heard her whisper a reply before their lips connected softly.

Immediately, the clicking and flashing of cameras became incessant and, although, blissful in their current positions, both girls knew they would prefer to be somewhere more private for this reunion.

“Let’s get out of here eh?” Cheryl suggested taking the handle of the suitcase with one hand and intertwining Kimberley’s fingers with the other and in this gallant manner, lead Kimberley through the sea of paparazzi and into her waiting car.

“God, they’re multiplying by the day!” Kimberley exclaimed as she fastened herself into the passenger seat, the camera flashes even more dramatic through the glass of the window.

Cheryl simply laughed. “I can vividly remember you saying that it was exciting”

“When did I say that?”

“On our first date. When we left the restaurant?” Cheryl prompted.

“Oh” she simply said, remembering. “I must have been trying to impress you” she grinned cheekily.

“Well it worked” Cheryl laughed sticking the key in the ignition. “Speaking of restaurants, are you hungry? Do you want to go for lunch somewhere?”

“I’d rather just go back to yours babe”

“To be honest Kim, I’ve not been shopping. I don’t think I’ve got much food in”

“I didn’t mean for lunch Cheryl” she answered rolling her eyes.

“Eh?” Cheryl questioned glancing at the blonde girl just in time to catch the glint that was becoming more familiar to Cheryl by the day. “Oh” she grinned in recognition of Kimberley’s intentions.

Kimberley laughed as Cheryl’s foot hit the accelerator and grabbed the sides of her seat. Partly due to the speed but, mostly in anticipation of what was to come once they got home…