08;

Christmas Eve

@itscarterbitch: Christmas shopping was successful 😊

● ● ●

Carter wrote the final tag for her presents, bouncing happily at how perfectly wrapped they were (thanks to her grandmother, she can't wrap for shit). She reached across and grabbed her laptop, changing her playlist from Christmas Classics to 90's Hip Hop.

"Mirror, mirror on the wall, tell me mirror what is wrong..." Carter hummed along, grabbing her nail polish. She had just untwisted the lid when her phone started buzzing, the girl pausing to answer the FaceTime. "Merry Christmas Eve, Lia."

"Hey." Malia grinned, plugging in her headphones. She stopped when she saw Carter's frown, her face falling as well. "What?"

"You didn't say Merry Christmas Eve back." Carter pouted, making her laugh and roll her eyes.

"Merry Christmas Eve, Carter." Her face instantly lit up again, untwisting her nail polish again. "What's up?"

"Painting my nails to be festive." Her words came out close to a mumble, her eyebrows knitted in concentration as she painted her thumbnail. "You?"

"I was bored, so I decided to FaceTime you." She shrugged, walking into the kitchen and opening the fridge to scour for food. "Plus I wanted to know what you got me for Christmas."

"Yeah, no." Carter raised an eyebrow, watching as her friend tore open a bag of M&M's with her teeth. "I can tell you what I got the others though."

"I'll settle for that."

"Okay, so I got Kat Snow White, the collectors edition from right before it went back into the vault-my grandma knows people-and a mug that has the outline of Oregon on it." Carter listed off, wetting her lips before blowing on her nails. "I got Cather a necklace with a tiny flute on it, and an keychain with the map of Portland in it, I got Aria different fandom merch and a Portland snow globe, and I got Lydia a box of Moonstruck Distillers truffles and an Oregon Atlas."

"I'm sensing an Oregon theme." Malia chuckled, shaking her head fondly as Carter's eyes lit up.

"I wanted all of you guys to have a little piece of me." She shrugged, blushing slightly. The blush deepened when she realized Malia was just staring at her, a small smile on her face. "What?"

"Nothing." She laughed, flopping back into her bed. "It's cute when you get excited."

"Whatev-" Carter's eyes widened and her face grew disgusted, her attention on something in her doorway. "Grandma, what the fuck?"

"What?" Malia asked, gaining her attention again. Carter just covered her face and switched the camera orientation so she could witness Carter's grandparents dancing to The Humpty dance by Digital Underground-scratch that, grinding. "Oh god."

"Stop, please." Carter whined, switching the camera back to face her again. She honestly looked like she was ready to puke.

"This is our song baby doll." Her grandma cheered, making her grab her pillow and shove her face into it. "Alright, we'll stop."

"Thank god." She dropped the pillow with a look of relief and turned her attention back to Malia, who was laughing so hard her eyes started to water. "It's not funny."

"Are you talking to Malia?" Carter's head snapped up and her face started to heat up, her grandma clapping her hands together. "You are! Y'know Malia, Carterbear says that y'all aren't dating, but she talks about you all the ti-"

The sound was cut off when Carter hurriedly tapped the 'mute' button and dropped the phone for a few seconds to push her out of the room and lock the door. When she came back and unmuted the FaceTime, Malia had an amused look on her face.

"What?" She raised an eyebrow, falling back against her pillows.

"You talk about me all the time?" Malia asked teasingly. Carter just rolled her eyes, a tiny smile tugging at her lips.

"Whatever."

● ● ●

@ariamiller: Dude wtf why has carlia been MIA for the past 45 minutes