Framed

Darian and Matt play on Darian's Xbox, I sit watching, eating two slices of Hawaiian pizza at the same time. I never got into video games, really. I'd play for a few hours, find instant cheats and loopholes, and beat them in one sitting. Boring. I can't stop watching Matt, though. It makes sense, I suppose. Although Conner lied about the crush he had on me, I look back and realize that it didn't add up that Matt would be straight. He's only had one girlfriend, and that's when we were all twelve years old. He never takes anyone home at parties... I was wondering where the instant friendship between him and Conner came from.

Damn. I bet people look at me the same way. "Remember when Brandon and Madeline broke up for 'no reason'? When he made out with the British kid at the party? When he kissed Mitchell? How he broke up with Christina?" Yeah, I bet people do that. I don't have a good case, either.

Doesn't quite explain why Matt is friends with Mitch and Marshall, and it doesn't explain why Matt decided to publicly give me some intense dirty talk.

"Brandon, wanna play?" Darian's voice makes me jump. I shake my head 'no', some sort of lame excuse making its way out of my mouth. Darian shrugs. So far, this whole 'do what I want' thing isn't eventful. I'm not going to pretend like the need to text Logan or Christina isn't there. It's ridiculous, the way I can get attached in such a short time. Maybe I just need to go with my gut and do the first thing on my mind. That's what I usually do, but it usually involves a lot of second guessing. Not today. I can't be that guy anymore. I can't over contemplate or jump at something while still worrying about the consequences.

Logan seems to be at the top of my list.

Brandon: Hey

Logan: ?

Brandon: we should actually have a real talk sometime

Logan: No...

Brandon: ... no talk? Or no what?

Logan: I'm with my mom and violet right now. I can't keep talking to you like this so...

It's as if my body reacts before my brain gets the chance to. Before I know it, I'm storming to the bathroom. With his mom and Violet? Even if that's true, why would he feel the need to tell me that? It's like he's taking all the shots at me. Just so damn rude. Stick to the plan, Brandon. No over analyzation of this shit. Time to be bold.

Brandon: ...

Brandon: okay. So I'm done then? I'm kinda sick of this so. either tell me you wanna talk or tell me to fuck off. I'm fine either way.

Logan: fine? I guess this is done.

I stare at the screen, dissecting every little punctuation mark, every little word, like I said I wasn't going to. I guess Logan has the same attitude I do. Maybe that's best. We're both fed up with beating around the bush.

I end up eating the most pizza in our room (not surprisingly) and consciously watching my phone, just in case Logan might text me again. After about five minutes of checking my phone and scrolling Facebook, I decide to actually get off my ass. "I'm going upstairs."

"Coach said don't bother the cheerleaders," Matt says over his shoulder. I feel my nose scrunch up.

"Actually," Darian interrupts, "he said don't get caught up in the cheerleaders. Take that as you will."

I force a chuckle. "I'll take it literally. I don't know how one 'gets caught up in' a cheerleader." I smirk, making my way out the door after a quick glance in the mirror. I read that if you smile for ten seconds, no interruptions, you can trick yourself into being confident and happy. I give that a test run.