Money and Parties and Dares, Oh My

"I am not going to Marshall's party," Chris declares strongly.

        "Then don't. Go to Janie's party," I persist. She's being ridiculous about this. The one day she decides she doesn't want to be social happens to be the day after playoffs. Which happens to be the day of Marshall and Janie's party. She won't even go to the mall to pick up a gift for Janie, and she said she would. I have no idea what girls want. "At least help me pick out a gift, Chris."

        "No. Marshall pisses me off during Algebra and I don't even know the Jamie girl. I just want to watch Netflix."

        "Just go for like, an hour. It starts at eight. Stay until nine and then I'll go home with you to watch whatever you want. Okay?" I offer. I need to go to this party. It'll take my mind off of football, Conner, my dad and everything

        "No! For god's sake Brandon! Why won't you just go and have fun by yourself--" she throws a pillow at me. I sigh. She's on her period. I've been around enough girls to know that.

        "Chris."

        "Brandon. Go away."

        "I'll miss you," I smile and blow her a kiss. So, I can't show off my hot girlfriend, but everyone will know who she is. And when's the last time I had alcohol? Wine doesn't count. I call my mom when I arrive at the mall. "Hey mom I'm at the mall and I'm going to a party tonight but I need a gift for a girl you gotta help me out."

        "...Hello, Brandon," my dad says from the other line. "Your mom is out getting groceries. You spoke so fast I didn't understand you." Greeaaatt. Fantastic. He is the very last person I want to talk to right now. Especially about a party or a gift.

       "Oh, Dad. It's nothing. I, well, it's a good friend of mines birthday. I just needed a gift. Sorry to bother you."

       "No bother. Did you need money?"

       "No, I'm fine. Thanks anyway. Bye." I hang up fast. I just said the word party to my dad. My mom is gonna have to cover for me again.

        I settle for a pair of the legging things with stripes and a huge beanbag. I have no idea what Janie wants, but girls like beanbags, right? I know Chris does.

       I throw on a dark blue button up with jeans. Chris likes me in blue. I put on one spray of the cologne my aunt sent me. That should be enough. My nerves are buzzing. Surprisingly, I'm actually excited to do something for once. The last thing I was excited to do was Christina. And she's not an event.

       I arrive at Janie's fifteen minutes after it starts. Marshall opens the door. We stare at each other for at least five seconds...I'm not going to let the fact that we're wearing the same outfit bother me tonight.

       "Come in," he says icily. I push past him to set Janie's gifts on her table. I'm surprised at how many people are here already. Inhale, exhale. I am going to have a good time tonight.

• • •

        "Where's your girlfriend?" At least I think that's what she said. Is warped hearing a side effect of tequila?

        "What?" I ask over the blaring music.

        "Where's your girlfriend, Christi?" Janie asks. She has on the leggings I gave her already, along with a feather boa.

        "Christina? She's not my girlfriend. She's not here," I shout.

        "Good! Come play truth or dare with us!" Ashley Durst giggles.