Rumor Has It

"You are ridiculous," Logan giggles. I hurl a gum wrapper at his forehead. "No really. You cheated on the girl. She didn't even sleep with whats-his-name. You're not the only one who can be wrong, you know." Logan sips the last of his vanilla coffee and gives me a knowing look.

"I can't stand her. I can't stand this. I'm ready to jump into the school with a shirt that says 'I'm a fag' printed on the front," I shrug. Logan rolls his eyes and grabs my hand. "Really, Logan, I'm sick of it." The girl at the counter obviously eavesdrops on our conversation. I would get mad, but she looks about nineteen and probably has no life. Then I remember that she has given us close to free drinks for the days we've been coming here. I decide to just lower my voice. "I saw Conner today. He looked absolutely wrecked. I mean... I don't know. He wanted me back and all that junk. I didn't listen to it, of course. But he just wasn't right."

"You think people are picking on him? He is a small one, and if people know he's a bender then who knows what hell he might go through," Logan throws both our cups away. In the few months Conner and I were friends, he never mentioned anyone picking on him. I know Tyler bothers him now, but...

"Tyler. He's with Tyler right now and he mentioned that Tyler wouldn't leave him alone twice now. Oh, I swear if that fucker is hurting Conner--"

"Woah, woah. Don't get ahead," Logan walks with me to my car. "You said Conner was a sassy sonofabitch and he can take care of himself. I met Tyler once. He was hitting on me hard but once I told him to bugger off, he did without question." Logan opens the door for me. I roll my eyes. "Just... calm down. For me? You're so worried about Conner and Christina and Tyler and American football. Just calm down," Logan smiles and kisses me gently. "Can I come over today?"

"I thought you'd never want to step into my house again," I grumble. "Anytime after 6 is fine." Logan kisses me again and goes to his own car. I inhale deeply and sigh the breath out with a frustrated huff. I don't want to take Christina to F&F. Why did I have to kiss Conner? My life would still be relatively perfect. My palms slam onto my steering wheel. I hear a distinct crack. In a panic, I inspect the round wheel. It's loose. Could my life get any worse?

* * * * *

"Brandon!" Janie exclaims and runs toward me.

"Janie!" I say with a fake smile. She nervously shuffles me to a corner. "What--"

"You feel alright? I don't think you're feeling alright. You look sick. Sick as hell. You should go home," Janie says nervously and looks around. "Go talk to the nurse and go home. I mean, your eyes a-and your teeth. Man, you look messed up. Stomach flu? Yeah?"

"Janie, I'm fine--"

"Brandon! Just go. Please," Janie sing-songs. She looks around again. Before she dances in a little mamba. "You're sick, you're sick, you're sicky sicky siiiick. La la la go home la la--"

"Um, I think you need help. Wanna tell me what's going on?" I demand. Janie just smiles and runs her hand through her short, black hair before awkwardly waddling back and forth on her bowlegs. "Janie. What the hell is wrong with you?"

"Oh, nothing. You just--" Janie begins. I push past her and begin to walk to my next class when Hannah stops me. Seems like she's come out of nowhere. Her hair is almost a mess and she's breathing heavy.

"You need to leave. You need to go home," Hannah says lowly. "Brandon, just say you're sick or something. You need to get the freak out of here." I pull both girls into a small group with me. "Brandon listen to me--"

"No, you listen to me. I've had a bad day so far, and you're telling me to go home for what I think is no reason. What. Is. Going. On." The small girls exchange worried looks and push me into the same corner.