Senseless

"I suggest you get into my car, unless you plan on finding a ride home. And you barely know anyone," I snarl through my teeth. Aiden has her arms crossed. For two minutes, we've argued about this. 

          "Can I at least have thirty minutes? Please... Mitchell--" Aiden trails off.

          "So it's about Mitch. Well you know what? Maybe he'll give you a ride home." And a different kind of ride while he's at it.

        "shouldn't have to leave just because you're pissed about something. That's not fair. If I get a head start, Monday won't be so bad. You've gone to school in this town since you were five. I was only here for a few years." Aiden crosses her arms. I sigh and roll my eyes. Maybe I could introduce her to a few people in her class.

         "You can stay, but if you want a head start, you will meet people your own age, got it?"

        "You sound like Stefan."

         "Shut up." I shake my head and Aiden smiles. "That girl is in your grade--" I point to Violet Evans. "So are the girls with her. Um... I know her." I point to a girl with long, wavy brown hair. "Her name is Torin."

        "I'm not in elementary school. I kinda know how to talk to people," Aiden groans. "I think I got this." Aiden struts away with a smile on her face. Half an hour, I think to myself. My attention diverts itself to a scene of someone dancing on a table. It's Sydney.

         "Say cheese!" Janie says to me out of nowhere. I shy away from the picture. "Brandon, c'mon."

        "I'm just not in the mood, Janie. Sorry." Her arms wrap around my shoulders in a nice hug.

        "Is it Christi?" she asks softly. I shake my head 'no'.  "Is it about the thing that happened at the other party?" My shoulders tense. I know Janie feels it too. "Hey, listen to me, kid. Nobody cares about that."

        "I do."

        "It's no big deal. Rumors don't last forever. And everyone loves you, Brandon. Even if they do believe what Ashley said, they blow it off." I hug Janie back. "I said I wouldn't snitch, and I won't. Neither will Hannah."

         It's funny the way she says that. Two girls who gossip about everyone and their mother won't tell a soul about the party. But the guy I trust most and am practically dating would. For thirty extra dollars. Priorities, I guess.

          "Janie, we should go to lunch sometime. You, me, and Hannah." Janie nods. "People I can trust." I keep my eye on Aiden. She laughs around with some sophomore cheerleaders. Geezus, I only hope people are good to her. I had no idea Chris was having such a hard time. The girls in West Crimson can definitely be jealous, but treating Chris like trash wasn't what I expected.

        If James were still here, he'd tell me to put the lid on it. I never moved on very easily (James must recall many times when I cried about Madeline), and I don't think I ever will. The 'counselor' I had when I was little reiterated this: 'If you dwell on what you can't fix, you'll just keep breaking things.' Now, she was a loon, but maybe she was right.

        I need to move on much faster.

* * * * *

          "How was the party, kids?" Mom says from the hallway. "You're back earlier than we expected."

           "Aiden met a lot of people. I found out someone lied to me. Your typical day," I sigh. My mom kisses my cheek. "I'll tell you about it tomorrow." The condensed and less truthful story, of course. Mom kisses Aiden's forehead as well before we retreat to our rooms.