Chapter Forty: Watch your back

I felt so confused.

How? How could Tess possibly have Abraham's powers? And why would she use them against me? Did my being gone do this to her? If not, what did? I had to many questions in my head, but no one could answer them.

"Lolita you need to remain still." I looked to my left, and saw my uncle Raphael trying to heal me. He is one of my grandfather's archangels, and the angel of healing. He has been trying to heal me since he rushed in to save me.

"Sorry uncle." I flinched when I felt the pressure on my body. I still don't know what she injected me with.

"No worries, just try not to move. Being here stops the substance from spreading, but not eliminate it. I still need to figure out exactly what you have been injected with." I closed my eyes, and focused on his power. It was so warm, but I could still feel the toxin in my body. My body was doing everything possible to remove it, but not much seemed to change.

"Lolita." I looked my right and saw Alexandria, and Alejandro coming into the room.

"Raphael what happened?" Alejandro was at my side, trying to help.

"She was injected with a strange liquid. I managed to stop it from completely spreading, but not get it out of her." He focused on my chest, to keep my heart from pumping the liquid faster. "Alexandria, do you have any knowledge of what it may be?"

"I can check, but it will take time." I closed my eyes again, and felt the burn inside my veins. I bit my lip to stop the scream. Being a reaper, I have never felt pain. If this is what humans have to deal with, they can keep their mortality.

They staid with me for a few more minutes, before the doors to Raphael's chamber were opened again. Judging by the strength of the power, it was my grandfather. I opened my eyes expecting to only see him. I was not expecting what I actually saw.

"Ashton." He was even more handsome than I remember. Taller, stronger. But what stood out, was the pure white wings on his back. He was an angel now. "Ashton." I could feel tears running down my face, but I couldn't wipe them away.

"Lolita." He was at my side in the blink of an eye. He wiped the tears from under my eyes, but he had some of his own. "I'm so sorry."

"Why are you sorry?"

"Because his backstabbing, bitch of a sister did this to you." I looked behind Ashton and saw the rest of my family. They were wearing a strange robe, it was blocking their powers.

"Lilith?" I looked and saw my aunt and uncles staring at my mother. They all had tears in their eyes. If she could, I think my mother would have them too. Raphael was so shocked he dropped his control of the toxin, and it started to burn again. I couldn't stop the scream this time.

"Lolita!" They all crowded around me. I could only see blurs. I felt Raphael place his hands back, and the pain started to go away. My breathing was even going back to normal.

"Why haven't you cured her?" I could see the fire in my father's eyes. He was staring Raphael down, but my mom was calming him down. I could see just how much they hated each other.

"I managed to stop it from spreading. What have you done? Oh that's right. You're the one who took four years from her life. So don't you dare try and speak to me like that you reaper." I felt the pressure in the room increase. Blake and Lenore were pissed. I guess Raphael forgot we were part reaper too.

"Enough!" They all became silent as soon as my grandfather came into the room. He stood next to Ashton, and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Ashton, you said you knew how to heal her. What can you do?" All eyes turned to Ashton, but he was only starting at me. This whole time, his eyes have been focused only on me.

"I can draw the toxin out, but it won't feel good." He caressed my cheek with the back of his hand. I am not used to such gentle gestures, it felt nice.

"What will you do?" Alexandria took a step closer to Raphael. As the angel of knowledge, I can only guess she wasn't to commit this to memory.

"When I opened up to Lolita four years ago, we discovered why Abraham wanted me. He wanted to build a weapon strong enough to beat death." I heard everyone gasp. And I heard something snap. My father had gripped a pillar so hard, part of it broke.

"That's the reason he took me." Blake was looking at the ground. I felt bad, because he still remembers that day clearly.

"Look, can we please get to the point!" They all turned back to Raphael. "She doesn't have much. My powers have only stopped the spreading. I can't hold her like this forever."

"Sorry." He caressed my cheek again, and I could feel a warmth he's never had before. "Lolita listen to me. Do you trust me?" I looked into his gray eyes. We never made anything known to each other, but we didn't have to. We could feel a pull between us. I smiled, and I saw a spark in his eyes.

"I trust you." He gave a quick nod, before getting to work. I have never seen this side of him. So composed, in control. He truly has become an incredible man these past four years.

Ashton had everyone wait outside Raphael's chamber. The only ones in the room were him, Raphael, and Alexandria who was recording everything in her notes.

He made a cut on my arm, right where Tess injected me. The cut was done with a holy blade, since nothing else could cut me. I could feel the trickle of my blood running down my arm. Ashton is planning to bleed out some of the toxin this way, and having the cut on my arm makes an opening. Using his power over water, he wants to draw out the rest of the toxin.

"I'm not gonna lie, this is gonna hurt." He focused on the water inside my body, and started moving it around. I couldn't hold in the scream.

"Son of a bitch!" I think I'd rather face my father again. Cause this shit is no joke. Teresa, I am so kicking your ass when this over.