Chapter Thirteen: You knew? And you never told me?!

*Lolita* 

I was starting to feel tired. I have been flying with Ashton for hours now, and he is not a light guy. I may have super strength, but my wings don't. I looked down and saw that the ground was closer than it should have been.

"Ash-ashton, I have, to land!" 

"Sorry, I must be heavy. OK, let's land." I put him down, and in that moment my wings gave up and I was falling. Luckily he caught me in his arms. I looked into his eyes, and felt a unfamiliar pressure in my chest.

"Thank you, please put me down."

"No. You're tired, and need some rest. I'll carry you until you've gained your strength." I really wanted him to put me down, but my body was tired. I laid my head on his chest, and was shocked when I heard his heart beat. How could a zombie have a heart beat, and why was it beating so hard.

We walked for hours, and haven't seen so much as one person. There were countless souls, and I wasn't surprised when Ashton would say hi to them as we walked by. After learning he was in a way, one of them, he seemed to be more at ease with all of this.

"Hey, Lola?" I was surprise he knew my nickname, but I ignored it for now.

"Yes?"

"Since your dad is the grim reaper, does that mean your next in line to take over?"

"Maybe. Blake is first born, so the title should originally belong to him. However I unlocked my abilities first, so our father wants us to fight for it."

"So, what will happen to the one who loses?"

"Nothing really. The reason we attend school is to learn to live among humans, in case we need to live among them as 'one of them'. Lenore is to young to worry about this, so Blake and I will be the only once fighting for the title."

"You sound like you don't really want it." How could he tell?

"I don't know if I do. My whole life I was raised to be 'normal' since we thought the next grim reaper would be Blake. But when I unlocked the powers, suddenly I was told to fight for the position."

"Can't you just tell your father that you don't want to do it?" I gave him a small smile.

"I wish it could be that simple." I closed my eyes and leaned back against his chest. The sound of his strange heart beat was like a lullaby to me, and soon I was drifting off to sleep in his arms.

**********************************************************************************************

*Ashton* 

She fell asleep in my arms, she must have been more tired than I had thought. I feel bad making her carry me for as long as she did. To think someone could look so innocent, but turn out to be someone completely different. I can't imagine her as a grim reaper, but I guess she doesn't have a choice. With a father like hers, saying no must be really hard.

I must have been walking for hours now, and I still haven't seen anyone except for the souls. I looked around, and we were no where near the city anymore. There was nothing but empty fields and trees in the distance. Was she sure her brother was all the way out here?

"Lolita." She moved in my arms and her eyes fluttered open, She has really pretty green eyes. wait, weren't they silver a while ago?

"What is it?"

"Are you sure that your brother is down here?" She looked around and jumped out of my arms. I looked at her eyes and saw that they were turning into that silver color from before.

"Yes. Who ever took him apparently doesn't know much about us."

"What do you mean?"

"We, and that includes you, have an unshakable cold that follows us. We call it death's breath, since it leaves a cold shiver behind. Each one is different, and I know my brothers freeze anywhere." I saw that smile on her face, she really wants her brother back. I wonder if this is how Tess felt when she heard that I was alive?

"Tess!" I pulled out my phone and saw that I had 27 missed calls from her and 3 from my mom and dad. They were going to kill me.

"Call them." I looked up at her and saw her looking at me like the answer was so obvious. I pushed call back and heard her pick up on the second ring. 

"Where the hell are you?! Do you have any idea how worried we are?!" More like how worried she is.

"Tess shut up, I'm fine. I get it that you worry about me and all, but there's a limit."

"I have all the right to worry about you, you're  d...." She knew, and she never told me?!

"Teresa, I know." 

"How?...Lolita!" 

"Yes! Your best friend was the one that had to tell me, not even my own sister! Do mom and dad know?! Who else knew besides me?!"  

"Ash, come home now! Stay away from Lolita, you don't know what she can do." 

"I know Tess, about her and her family. I know it all! And you know why? Because she was honest with me! I haven't even known this girl for more than a week and she's already been more honest with me than my own sister!" I know I should take it easy on her, but at the moment all I see is red. This whole time I was a fucking Zombie, and she never once bothered to tell me. She knew this big secret about me that even I didn't know.

"Wait a second, Teresa how did you fined out I was a zombie? Who told you?"

"..." 

"Teresa! Dime! Tell me how you know!" 

"I know, because I saw the guy who did it." It was like she punched me trough the phone. This whole time she lied to me, and she has the nerve to get mad at me for finding out? I didn't even bother hearing what she had to say, I simply hung up the phone.

"Ashton, what's wrong?" I could hear Lolita, but at the moment all I could think of was the anger inside of me. I have been kept in the dark for years about what I had become, and my own sister had the nerve to keep it from me. I felt my hands clench, and my breathing was becoming harsher and uneven. I wanted to punch something so badly, but there was nothing in my reach.

"Punch me." I turned to face her, and again she had a blank expression on her face. Was she serious?! How the hell could she think I would punch her?!

"No, I just need, to calm down." It wasn't working. It was like my body would not be satisfied until I released all the anger inside of me. I looked around and saw a tree just a few feet away. I ran to it as fast as I could and punched right trough it. I pulled my hand out and saw that I had actually caused the tree to fall and break. Since when have I been able to do that?!

"Ability number one, inhuman strength." I looked behind me at her and smiled. She looked at me and smiled back. Cool, I actually got a genuine smile from her.

"I guess. Come on, let's hurry and save your brother." She nodded and we kept walking towards where her brother must be. I can't help but realize how close me and her had become since I found her. Maybe when we find her brother, and all this stuff with her family is cleared up, I can ask her out. I wonder if she's even dated before. I guess I'm just gonna have to wait to fined out.