Chapter 18

I really should not be doing this right now o3o but I have to update, because this will likely be my last one before school starts and stuff gets hectic. >3< Please enjoy! I love you guys. (:

Oh, and by the way. This chapter includes something special :3 it involves the point of view of a minor character in this story. <3 Hope you like it~ HINT: Her picture is included in today's chapter. Her eyes are a wonderful mixture of green and blue...

The rest of the afternoon passed quickly, as Clawface showed the group around the Rogues' various "territories". He had also explained to them some basic parts of life according a Rogue's way, which happened to be much different from a clan cat's life. Birdpaw was not surprised, though, since they were called Rogues after all...but it was odd that as Clawface spoke, he compared his life to a clan cat's life in many ways, as if he knew everything there was to being a clan cat. It was also strange that he seemed to be very proud of his current state, and always said things like, "Oh, the clans would not enjoy such luxuries as this," or "Clans are as stupid as a mouse tail...we are much better."

Right now, it was evening, and the forest was starting to get darker. The birds had ceased their chirping, and only rustling of bushes and the wind surrounded the group. They had finished the tour, and Clawface was now explaining for the third time today about the Rogues and what they were. But...this time seemed a bit different, as the tom seemed more excited than ever and branched out into facts that sent more chills down Birdpaw's spine.

"We are the Rogues. Not simply rogues, but the Rogues. We are solitary, living together simply for security's sake," the scarred tom had meowed gruffly, "Therefore, you are usually left alone to do your own thing. You may wander around anywhere you like, talk to whomever you wish, and nobody would care. However, there is one little thing-"

"Yeah?" Birdpaw had asked, urging him on with mild curiosity. The previous times, Clawface had just stopped there and moved onto other topics, but now he seemed to be divulging information that could be useful to the clans. But then, she realized that talking was a big mistake since Clawface's head snapped sharply to gaze her right in the eye.

The tom growled at her menacingly, causing Birdpaw to take a few steps back, accidentally bumping into Falconclaw who was sitting a little ways behind her. The tabby steadied Birdpaw by nudging her forward gently so she would stop backing up, and curled his tail around her almost protectively. Clawface seemed as if he would like to make a remark of some sort, but instead of voicing it he refrained from doing so.

"Anyways, as I was saying before a certain someone rudely interrupted me," the brown tom aimed a glare at Birdpaw's direction, "There is one little thing that we do together every new moon. We hold a meeting, a very special one. In the meeting Greenfur addresses us all as a leader, instructing us on our next missions towards our ultimate goal or just informing us of our conditions. For we are not just simply rogues. We're also a group, with common interests and, under the lead of Greenfur, we will turn those goals into reality."

Birdpaw didn't understand what the brown tom meant by "ultimate goals", or "common interests", or their "missions", and was about to open her mouth to ask, but a look from Falconclaw silenced her. He was right - talking right now would probably get her pelt ripped off, and they haven't even succeeded in figuring out information yet.

"Wise choice, little kit," Clawface sneered approvingly. Birdpaw's eyes widened, as she did not realize that the tom had been watching her all this time to notice when she wanted to say something. Horror crept upon her when she realized that under this bloodthirsty cat's rash actions lied a whole new aspect of his character - a keen eye and a clever mind that Birdpaw suspected many "Rogues" around here must possess. And that, was a problem because what the little group needed to do was ultimately outsmart them...and it just seemed to get harder after every heartbeat.