Epilogue

"Let all cats who are able to catch their own prey gather beneath the Fallen Log for a clan meeting!" Hailstar's meow rang out loud and clear across the clearing.

Immediately, the clan buzzed to life as its members rushed to settle down at the usual meeting spot next to the old, decayed tree trunk. In the days following the Rogue battle, everyone was busy establishing the old way of life again. The three clans split and returned to their old territories, and new clan members needed to be trained on clan ways. 

Many Rogues ended up joining the clans. Most were already former clan members, but there were also loners and former kittypets who were interested in the idea of living in a community. They expressed frustration with Greenfur's way of ruling, and pledged their loyalty to the three leaders, if they would accept them.

Needless to say, every cat was extremely busy.  

Birdpaw felt her heart start to race from excitement. Today was the day that she had been dreaming of ever since kithood. She gingerly waited at the edge of the Log for Hailstar to call her forward. Birdpaw snuck a peek down at the rest of the clan, and realized that all eyes were gathered upon her. As a result, the brown tabby she-cat quickly gave her pelt another grooming, not wanting even one hair to be out of place.

Eventually, the clan settled down and grew quiet. Sensing that every cat was ready, Hailstar cleared his throat and commanded, "Birdpaw, please come forward." 

Birdpaw took a deep breath. She felt as if her heart was going to burst. From happiness, or nervousness, she could not tell. However, she snuck another sideways glance down at her clan, and was relieved to catch Falconclaw's eye. The dark brown tabby gave her an encouraging nod, and Birdpaw instantly felt more at ease. Carefully placing one paw in front of the other, she made her way down the Log to meet Hailstar.

"Normally, apprentices must pass an assessment in order to become a full-fledged warrior. However, I have discussed things with Blacktail, and we have agreed that due to her role in aiding the clans in the previous battle with Greenfur, Clawface, and the Rogues, Birdpaw has proven herself more than worthy. If any cat objects, he or she may speak up now." Hailstar's tone was steady as he gazed down at his clanmates. 

No cat spoke up. 

"In that case, the warrior ceremony will begin," Hailstar declared. Turning to Birdpaw, he meowed, "I, Hailstar, leader of Shadeclan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down upon this apprentice. She has trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend her to you as a warrior in her turn. Birdpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?"

"I do," Birdpaw responded. She had been ready to say these two words ever since she first set foot into Rogue territory, and the conviction in her voice seemed to please Hailstar.

"Then by the powers of Starclan, I give you your warrior name. Birdpaw, from this moment you will be known as Birdflight. Starclan honors your loyalty and your courage, and we welcome you as a full warrior of Shadeclan."

Hailstar bent forward to rest his muzzle on Birdflight's head, and she licked his shoulder in return. 

"Birdflight! Birdflight!" the clan began to chant. 

As Birdflight leapt off the Log, she was greeted by her clanmates with licks and words of congratulations. 

"Are you ready for your vigil?" Leafpaw and Graypaw bounced up to Birdflight, circling her excitedly. The two kits had grown over the moons, and have become apprentices to Falconclaw and Violetfoot, respectively.