Chapter 9

*Unedited

~~

Hey~ I'm in the middle of a tough decison...and a major writer's block...so this chapter's gonna be a filler, okay? ;)

"Okay Birdpaw," Blacktail nodded, padding away.

"I have to leave for a patrol, so our training will pause for today. Meet me at sunset for a dusk patrol though!" he called back over his shoulder so she could hear.

Birdpaw nodded wearily, and stumbled her way out of the training area. Placing one sore paw over another, she struggled to not trip as she made her way back to camp.

~*~

After what felt like moons later, she finally emerged through the entrance, yawning. Birdpaw had been up before dawn for a border patrol, and right after she had gone hunting with her mentor, and after that they'd been practicing battle moves ever since. "And I thought yesterday was tiring!" she exclaimed to herself, padding over to the fresh-kill pile to get something to eat.

"Hey! Birdpaw!" a voice called.

She turned her head slowly towards the cat, who revealed herself to be Featherpelt, with Falconwing sprawled out by her side. "Yeah?" she asked.

She flicked her ears at a half-eaten mouse laying at her paws. "Want to share with us? We can share tongues too!"

"Okay." Birdpaw dragged herself over, and felt extremely relieved as she crouched down with her two friends to eat. Biting into the flesh of the mouse, she took a big mouthful, crunching the bones with her teeth with delight. This was her first meal of the day, as she had been too busy to eat before.

"Jeez. You look like a half-starved fox!" Falconwing commented as he aimed a paw playfully at her head, rolling onto his back with leisure.

"Well, I've been busy training with Blacktail," she responded, still too focused on devouring the prey to look at him.

Featherpelt purred. "He pushes you pretty hard, doesn't he?"

She scoffed. "Yeah, maybe too hard. What mentor would have their apprentice kill themselves hunting, patrolling, training and doing chores all day?"

"I'm not sure..." Falconwing meowed sarcastically. "How about...a good mentor?"

Curious, she looked up at him to explain.

Catching her eye, he stared at her and said, "Well, do you want a mentor who teaches you useful stuff or would you rather him or her feed you plump mice all day and you don't learn anything except of how to be a kittypet?"

She chose the first.

He nodded, and carried on, "Yeah. That's what Blacktail's doing. He wants you to learn as much as possible before you become a warrior so you can be of some service to the clan and not be some plump, lazy cat who eats all day." The last part sounded funny, but there was no amusement in his gaze.

"I...I guess...." Birdpaw stuttered, unsure of what to say now. She resolved not to complain about anything Blacktail would force her to do anymore, now that she understood the meaning of being an apprentice and serving her clan. She looked at her paws, feeling guilty for being such a kit.

"...don't be ashamed." Featherpelt cut in gently. "These are harsh times, even for greenleaf."

Birdpaw stared at her. "I thought greenleaf was the best season!"

Falconwing snorted. "Yeah, it is. Except those rogues keep stealing our prey, and the clans have been on dangerous terms recently."

"Mhm." Featherpelt nodded. "They all blame each other for the prey-stealing, and I think we're the only clan even aware of the rogues."