Chapter 19

I finally got the inspiration to complete this chapter. T^T it was kind of difficult to write, but I did it. <3 Please enjoy, and give me feedback!

Dedicated to xflutterflyx for being an awesome friend and inspiring me to start writing once more. (:

A shrill caterwaul rang through the camp. Cats stopped their scufflings, conversations, and other movements almost immediately, and a hush quickly fell over the them. Quiet shadows began to slink past the dens, around the trees, and under a large rock, where the source of the cry came from. Night had already fallen, but the skies were clear and the stars glittered as brightly as ever, casting strange rays of light to gently dance and shimmer as the tree branches wave in the breeze. Even the kits were there, hushed by their protective mothers.

Birdpaw, Falconclaw, and the rest of the group were seated directly below the rock, hidden by the shadows. No cat dared to utter a word, and for once, Birdpaw did not try to speak with anyone. She felt deeply afraid, as if there was something sinister about this gathering. It didn't feel like their usual Gatherings at home, where peace could be felt and cats could speak freely with one another.

No, this was different.

After all the cats have assembled, Greenfur, who was responsible for the caterwaul, stepped to the front of the rock. Birdpaw couldn't help but admire the she-cat; Greenfur looked dignified and breathtaking under the moonlight, with her chin up high and green eyes brimming with an emotion that could only be interpreted as pride.

"Greetings, my fellow Rogues! I trust that you all are doing well, since it is greenleaf?" Greenfur asked, although she didn't seem to expect an answer as she went on, "At least from what I have seen, every cat has had enough to eat recently. However, we must share our prey now, with a few newcomers. Newcomers, please step out from where you're hiding and face your new clan." her eyes glittered down at the group almost tauntingly, as if daring them to come out.

Nightpelt quietly stood, and with a meaningful look to the rest of the group, padded out with a determined yet cool look in his eyes. Falconclaw followed his lead, and Birdpaw and Hazelpaw quickly scrambled after them. Eagleflight brought up the rear, eyes narrowing as a cat hissed in their direction.

Birdpaw tried to look for Blaze among the crowd, but there were too many cats and she couldn't tell his flame-colored pelt from all of the others. She gradually gave up and stuck close to the others, feeling anxious.

"When does the Test of Faith start?" some cat yowled from the crowd. Murmurs of agreement rose from the rest of the Rogues, and Birdpaw felt a shiver creep down her spine.

Greenfur snarled, and the Rogues shushed at once. Flicking her ears, the she-cat meowed, "The ritual will take place right now. Clear out some space, everyone." The crowd immediately began to shift noisily, muttering amongst themselves, and backed away until they completely enclosed the group in a large circle of open space.

The mottled she-cat looked down at the group and spoke, "Now, you have heard Test of Faith this, Test of Faith that, but you do not understand what exactly it is, correct?"

Nightpelt nodded after a brief heartbeat of hesitation.

"Well, the Test of Faith is that whenever we receive a newcomer, that cat must prove his worth before we accept him. This can be done in two ways, since you are a group and not an individual cat. One, you will send a representative of your group to fight one of our own, and if you win, then we will accept you. Two, you all fight against five of our cats, and once again, if you win then we will accept you."

"Wh-what happens if we lose?" Birdpaw blurted before she could stop herself.

Greenfur's eyes glinted in the moonlight, "Then you all die, of course. This is a battle to the death, is it not?" Flicking her tail dismissively, she asked, "So which do you choose?"