Chapter 6

*Unedited

~~

Enjoy. (:

    Birdpaw stalked out of the medicine den, feeling angry and hurt. How dare him not thank her for saving his own pelt? Surely he was not that stupid, was he? Well, that's not even the worst of it. I've got work to do. She scoffed, and padded over to the moss ball she had collected that day, for cleaning out the smelly nursery. Birdpaw glared at Leafkit and Graykit who were tussling with each other nearby, and glared even more at Blacktail who had assigned her to do this. She spotted him, watching from a corner, amber eyes glittering with an emotion she could not tell. Was it amusement? Maybe. She huffed, and started rolling the new moss over to the den, and squeezed in, ignoring the nod of thanks from Fernpelt.

    Birdpaw started crumpling the old bedding together, and cursed when it just made everything worse. She started to pile small balls of it, then combining them to make a bigger ball. Luckily, it did not take too long, and pretty soon she was faced with a mountain of stinky, dirty bedding. Birdpaw groaned at the thought of having to roll it all over camp, but grimaced and pushed it out of the den anyways. 

    After that was disposed, she headed back to the nursery, and put all the new moss into nests. Satisfied with her work, she backed out of the now new and fresh-smelling den and headed over to the fresh-kill pile, feeling a bit hungry. Just as she was about to pick out a plump pidgeon from the pile, a paw snatched it out of the way. It was her mentor, gazing at her sternly, holding her prey. "No. Not after you've hunted," he ordered.

    "Why? I've already went on border patrol, and cleaned out the nursery!" she complained.

    "A  good warrior eats after he has hunted. You need to learn the clan comes before you, and that you must contribute to the clan before you take."

   "But what about Fernpelt and the kits?" she protested.

    "Fernpelt is a good warrior, and she has done much to the clan by raising these two healthy, strong kits. As for Graykit and Leafkit, the fact they are growing to be sturdy and strong is good enough contribution, for without kits we have no clan. Now, stop protesting and get to hunting! Ask some cat to come with you, since I cannot."

    "Why can't you?"

    He grimaced. "As much as I'd like to show you some battle moves today,"

    Birdpaw gasped. She loved learning new battle moves. They were so fun!

   "....I cannot because I've been assigned to double patrols, then a meeting with Hailstar. I've got plenty to do, and I need to go. Get a warrior to come with you."

    Birdpaw sulked, but nodded. She sighed, then turned away from the fresh-kill pile, only to bump into some cat.

   "Oops! Oh! Birdpaw! You look kind of down today. What's the matter?" it was Featherpelt. The silver tabby was looking at her in a concerned manner.

    Birdpaw wanted to pour out everything that has happened to her awful day, but knew that maybe she could later. Right now she had work to do. Plus, she was hungry and wanted to eat as fast as possible. Also...Blacktail was watching her. "Nothing. Um, do you want to come hunting with me? Blacktail couldn't and I needed a warrior to come with me."

    "Oh. Sure! Should we go now?" she asked.

    "Yeah. So I can get to eat a bit earlier when we come back," Birdpaw mumbled. She got to her paws and started padding to the camp entrance. Featherpelt followed, with an expression that suspiciously looked like stifled amusement. Birdpaw sighed again, then straightened up from her slouch and raced outside of camp, calling, "Let's see who can catch something first! Bet you that I win!"

 "Oh yeah? Warriors don't lose to mere apprentices!" was the reply, followed by a small purr. Even Birdpaw brightened a little at that, and challenged, "Well, I'll be the first one to beat you!". This was going to be her first contest, and she was going to win, no matter how good Featherpelt was.

                                                                       ~*~

    Birdpaw slowly crept up on an unsuspecting mouse, nibbling on a nut some paces away. Her belly brushed the ground, and her paws glided over the dirt and leaves like mere air. Just a little closer..... she thought. A little more....almost there..... but then a crackle somewhere in the forest set the mouse upright. It squeaked in alarm, dropped the nut, and fled. At that moment Birdpaw jumped up and pounced, but only managed to snag a bit of the creature's fur. "Mouse dung!" she hissed. "Now I'll lose the contest, and Featherpelt will never let me hear the end of it!"

Huffing, she got to her paws and started sniffing the air for more prey. Hmm...stale fox scent...maybe a moon ago...the mouse that just fled....a cat..... "A cat?!" she bolted upright, ears pricked. This wasn't Shadeclan scent. ...but it didn't quite smell like Iceclan cats...who reeked of fish, and it didn't quite smell of sunshine like the Fireclan cats either. Should she go back to camp and warn Hailstar? Nah. She decided against it. By then it might be too late anyways. Birdpaw sniffed again, and pressed her nose to the ground, trying with some difficulty to follow the trail.

Her nose led her around an oak tree, through some ferns, under some bushes....until she came face to face with a clump of ferns that smelled strongly of that scent. Birdpaw unsheathed her claws. This was definitely an intruder. And she was going to chase this cat away.

With a yowl, she crashed into the ferns, raking her claws furiously down the spine of the enemy cat. The cat screeched in pain, and whirled around, snarling, and pinned her to the ground with lightning fast speed. Birdpaw gasped. She was going to die now. Birdpaw closed her eyes, bracing herself for the killing bite.

But it never came. Instead, the cat released her, and retreated a few steps back, no longer growling. Birdpaw sprang up and faced the cat. It was the ginger tom from before! He helped her rescue Falconwing! But before she could utter a single word, he spoke, green eyes flashing.

"You."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

:D Finally uploaded! Sorry that I didn't find time to update...hehheh.... but that doesn't matter! (does it? lol)

Hope you enjoyed this little section. Comment/Vote/Fan/Add to reading list! Thanks for reading. I really do appreciate it that you've stayed with me so far.

~cinna <3