Chapter 21

Hey guys! Long time no see. :/ I know I promised that I'd update by Thanksgiving, but school has been hard on me. But this time I lived up to my word! (well at least over here it's 9 15 AM, December 25th. xP) This chapter is a wee bit shorter than the others, and I could've squished a few more scenes into this chapter, but I felt like you guys have been waiting for way too long and I wanted to reward you for your patience.

Listen to me ramble at the end. I suppose you're getting anxious to read ^^;

"What's wrong, Birdpaw? You seem quiet lately."

The soft mew belonged to Hazelpaw, whose eyes were clouded with worry. "Ever since that group meeting a few nights ago, you've been uncharacteristically down."

Birdpaw shook her head dismissively, before stopping to taste the air for any trace of prey hiding among the thick bushes. "No, nothing's wrong. I suppose I've just been thinking a lot."

"About...?" her friend urged.

"Everything, I guess." She sighed, disappointed that there didn't seem to be any mice nearby. Turning to face Hazelpaw, she gratefully touched her tail-tip to her friend's shoulder. "Don't worry about me, I'm fine."

However, the brown she-cat didn't seem to be convinced. "Are you sure?" Hazelpaw asked, before sighing, "Well, if there's anything you want to talk about, I'm always here for you."

Birdpaw let out a grateful purr, and swatted a paw at her best friend playfully. "Sure, I'll remember that next time I run into any trouble. I have to go now, but I'll catch up with you later!" 

And with those cheerful words, Birdpaw turned and bounded away as fast as she could, before she even had a chance to rethink her decision.

                                                                           ~*~

Truth be told, Birdpaw didn't even know where she was heading. She just ran with all her might, away from Hazelpaw as well as her own doubts. She didn't lie to her friend, though; Birdpaw really had been trying to focus on what Nightpelt had instructed: to make friends with the Rogues and hopefully garner their trust.

She had grown fairly close to Moss and her kits over the past moon, and although the tortoiseshell had told her nothing "useful", Birdpaw was genuinely grateful that she at least had friends within this strange group of cats.

Birdpaw had also gotten to know a few other members of the Rogues, although they were not particularly friendly. For example, there was this one she-cat named Night who seemed to despise her for no reason at all, and her ice-blue gaze always sent chills down Birdpaw's spine whenever the two crossed paths.

The other clan cats seemed to have blended in with the Rogues more successfully than she, though. Falconclaw and Nightpelt were fairly popular, and Falconclaw even had a few she-cats gossiping about his reserved, almost cold demeanor. "If only they knew how hot-headed he really was," Birdpaw muttered to herself. Hazelpaw had quite a few friends too, although that really wasn't a surprise since she was naturally so kind to others. 

Birdpaw suddenly felt a twinge of jealousy toward her companions. Maybe if she didn't have such a big mouth and rotten temper, she could make friends too.

Just then, the sound of leaves cracking made Birdpaw look up in alarm. There were pawsteps coming her way! Luckily, she had taken precautions to disguise her scent among the ferns every single time she ventured outside camp. however, Birdpaw was still anxious to hide from whoever this was. Knowing there wasn't a better option, she dove for a nearby juniper bush and crouched there as quietly as she could, waiting for the cats to reveal themselves. Unsheathing her claws, she also prepared to defend herself if needed be.