Chapter 7

*Unedited

~~

Hello there! :D Left you guys on a cliff hanger last time, eh? :P Well...I hope this part explains it. Enjoy!

"You."

"Yeah. Me. And what are you doing on Shadeclan's territory?" Birdpaw blurted out, pelt bristling. Just because he did her a small favor didn't mean he could go wherever he wants.

"Aren't you going to be grateful?" he relaxed his stance a bit, and sat down, tail curled neatly around his now sheathed claws.

She hissed at him angrily. "Grateful about what? I could have managed on my own, thanks."

His eyes glinted with amusement, much to her irritation. "You're a feisty one, aren't you?"

Birdpaw was getting very irritated. Who did he think he was? Stupid toms...they think they're so great. she thought. "Well? Answer me! What are you doing on our territory? Just because you saved my life once doesn't mean I won't rip you to shreds now!"

"Peace!" was his response. "Calm down. I'll tell you all about it, later." he added hastily as she glared at him.

"Fine. How about now?" she demanded. Who was this cat anyways?

"I said later." his gaze suddenly turned cold, which sent shivers down Birdpaw's spine. But he soon recovered, and meowed with a warmer tone, "But let's make an introduction. I'm Blaze. What's your name?"

Blaze....he didn't have a warrior name. Then he must be some loner or rogue...Birdpaw figured. Tell him her name? She wasn't so sure about that...but what harm could it possibly have? "Birdpaw." she mewed.

"Birdpaw..." he repeated. "It's a good name."

"Thanks."

Suddenly, his nose twitched. He bolted upright, then meowed hurriedly, "I have to go now. Meet me here at half moon."

"What? ...Okay.." she agreed recluctantly. Then Blaze whipped around and disappeared into the undergrowth. She stared after where he'd gone, dazed. Why did she agree to meet him again? Then, she shook her head lightly, in an attempt to clear her jumbled thoughts. She had a hunting contest to win! Birdpaw got to her paws, and scented the air for more prey.

                                                                                   ~*~

"Hey Birdpaw! What did you catch?" came a mew. Birdpaw was just scraping earth over the pidgeon she just caught, and jumped slightly when she heard  the voice. She raised her head warily, then relaxed when she saw it was Featherpelt, trotting towards her with a rabbit and two mice in her jaws. "It wasn't very good hunting today," she admitted, dropping her catch on the ground. "I missed some, but this will feed plenty." her eyes shone with pride at her catch.

"Great!" Birdpaw congratulated her, purring. "I have a pidgeon, and a shrew back there. I didn't catch much either." but she knew that was only half true. She did miss some prey, but a chunk of her time was also spent confronting Blaze, the strange ginger tom she met.

Featherpelt sighed. "It's still greenleaf, but prey's been scarcer than usual." she commented.

Birdpaw nodded, picking up the pidgeon in her jaws. "Come on. Let's go collect the rest of my catch." Featherpelt flicked her tail, and followed Birdpaw as she padded towards where her catch lay.

                                                                                   ~*~

It was night, and half moon rose slowly, casting its shadow and light onto Shadeclan's camp, giving it a dim sheen of silver. Birdpaw twisted and turned in her nest, unable to decide whether to follow through with her words or not. Yes...she did agree to meet Blaze...but she still wasn't certain if she should go. Plus, what would happen if she got caught? Blacktail would skin her....Birdpaw sighed. She didn't want to get in trouble and clean the Nursery for a whole moon as punishment, but she didn't want to break her word. She was also curious about what Blaze had to say to her. What harm could it do?

Birdpaw crept silently through camp, trying not to let her shadow fall across the dens filled with sleeping cats. She jumped a little when something cracked, only to find that she'd stepped on a twig. Sighing in relief, she hurried out of camp and slunk through the forest, anxious to get to their meeting place.

                                                                                    ~*~

Birdpaw skidded to a stop as she arrived, panting, at their spot. Finding that no cat was there, she looked around nervously. Just then, she felt pawsteps come up behind her, and a deep meow rang in her ear, "Hello. Glad to see that you've come."

"Um, hi..." Birdpaw stammered, whipping around to face him.

Blaze blinked warmly at her, saying nothing.

Birdpaw stared, unsure of what to do. "What do you need me for?"

"Let's just say, I thought you were interesting." He sat down, and continued, "I think you're special. Different from all the rest."

Now she was confused. "Huh? I'm just an apprentice...how am I special?"

Blaze studied her. "You're very modest, aren't you?" When she made no reply, he sighed. "Oh well. You'll find out later. But Bird, you're much more important than you think."

"My name's Birdpaw!" she corrected him, but he waved his tail in dismissal.

"You'll understand it all later. As for now, let's meet here, every half moon?" he inquired, getting up and taking a step towards her.

Birdpaw retreated nervously, and as he stepped closer, she felt his breath, hot against her ear. "Come on. Let's be friends!" Then, without any warning, he aimed a cuff at her head, which she dodged easily. She sprung on him, and the two wrestled for a bit, until Blaze had pinned Birdpaw down.

"I win. Now, are you going to argue?" Blaze announced triumphantly, gazing down at her.

Birdpaw sighed. "Okay okay! Just let me get up!"

He did, and when she got to her paws, he flicked his ears in farewell, and started padding away. She was about to call after him for leaving her so suddenly, when he swiveled his head back and reminded, "Don't forget half-moon!" and disappeared into the bushes.

She stared after him, speechless. She still didn't know this cat very well, but he was right. They could be friends. Who knows? Maybe he'll even join Shadeclan one day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I WAS gonna write more, but I thought the last sentence finalized this chapter. Sorry that it's super short, hehe. XD Winter break's coming up, so I hope I can update more often.

...please PM me names for Falconwing? I really need to change it. }:O The name bugs me, since it doesn't suit him at all. I like the prefix "falcon", but the suffix isn't right. Maybe...Falconstrike? Sigh. Oh well...I guess the next chapter depends on you PMing me. See ya! ;) ~cinna