Chapter 26

Twigs snapped and freshly fallen leaves crackled loudly as Birdpaw and her clanmates raced down a slope toward Iceclan territor. Hailstar led the group, followed closely by Silverclaw and Falconclaw. Violetfoot lagged a little ways behind, but the medicine cat was surprisingly agile and swift despite her duties rarely requiring her to ever run at such speeds. 

Birdpaw's heart thudded against her chest, and her surroundings were a chaotic blur of brown, green, and grey. However, there was only one word on her mind which repeated itself.

Faster. Faster. 

Faster.

Iceclan resided across from the river, but Hazelpaw led the Shadeclan cats to a hidden narrow strip of land that offered a path across the water without them having to get their pelts wet. The Shadeclan cats were visibly relieved: they would not have to swim, and this shortcut would conserve time, a precious resource. 

The camp was nestled away out of sight, protected by the swift current and nearby tall reeds. However, this also meant that it was difficult to escape in times of emergencies. As the camp itself slowly came into view, Birdpaw felt her heart sink.

Iceclan was utterly destroyed.

Dens were torn to shreds, the ground was smeared with dried patches of blood, and the scent of death lingered in the air. They had been too late; the battle seemed to be already over.

"Clan cats!" a familiar yowl caused everyone to turn their attention to their left. Birdpaw narrowed her eyes, recognizing Clawface, the second-in-command of the Rogues. 

"I am here to inform you that the Rogues are almost ready to unleash their revenge on the Clans. Today, as you can see, marks only the very beginning. Prepare yourselves....or not, since you are nothing compared to us!" the scarred tom snarled, baring his teeth at the group menacingly before whirling around and disappearing into the willows. 

Birdpaw threw a glance at Hailstar, curious to see her leader's reaction. However, the blue-grey tom seemed unfazed. Hailstar turned his head back to meet the eyes of his clan, and meowed, "There is neither need nor room for fear now, Shadeclan. Let us help Iceclan first, before we plan anything else, for we are allies now -- the time has come for the clans to unite."

                                                                                            ~*~

Iceclan had suffered devastating losses from the Rogue attack. Many of the weak were slain, and there was not a single cat without noticeable injury. Faint mewls of hunger echoed through the trees.

"Goldpaw? Goldpaw please, answer me!" 

Birdpaw felt as if she were frozen as she stared down at the familiar ginger pelt. However, her friend was barely recognizable. Goldpaw's formerly beautiful face had been mauled, and a long bloody gash ran from the tip of her shoulder to her haunches, oozing crimson into a pool that surrounded the barely-breathing she-cat.

Just like in the dream, Birdpaw recalled with a sharp intake of breath. Cats whom she were close to always died, for reasons unknown. Therefore...was this her fault too?

Goldpaw moved a little, and foam formed in her mouth, as if she were struggling to say something. A golden-brown tom bent forward to try and make out her words, whom Birdpaw recognized as Brackentail. The tom that her friend was mooning after during the Gathering which they had first met.

That Gathering seemed several lifetimes ago.

It seemed as if the two exchanged a few words, for Brackentail nodded, before whispering something into the ginger she-cat's ear. Then, he gave her one last gentle lick on her cheek, before stepping back with his head bowed.