The Swanson Estate (Chapter 17 and Author's Note)

PLEASE READ THE NOTE AT THE BOTTOM.

----- 

"Why the hell did I agree to this?" I pulled the bottom of my studded cutout bodycon dress lower as it threatened to inch higher up on my thighs. I'd thrown the white dress and golden heels together earlier this morning, courtesy of Lucas' credit card.

"Because you're my best friend and you love me," Lucas muttered as he cut off the slow ninny driving in front of us.

"I hate you," I declared, glaring out the window.

"Uh-huh. Do you want anything to eat?" We were currently driving to his parents house, which Lucas failed to mention was an hour away. With Chicago traffic time, it was more like two hours away. So far we'd been in the car for half that amount and I was already sick of the upbeat, overplayed pop tunes on the radio, slow driving, and noisy highway. I was also starving.

"Yes please."

He sighed. "I shouldn't have asked. I knew you'd say yes. You're like an untamable beast. Always hungry."

I rolled my eyes as I slapped his arm. "I'm going to order a combo just because you said that," I eyed the drive through's menu carefully before asking for large fries, a veggie sandwich, and a medium Pepsi.

After paying for the food Lucas stole a fry and then continued, "You're just stalling because you don't want to meet my parents."

"What if they see right through me? They'll force you back into an arranged marriage, or worse- leave you estranged."

Lucas snorted. "Ha! As if! Trust me, my mom thinks I'm her innocent baby angel. She won't know what hit her."

I raised my eyebrows at his cockiness. "Aren't you the least bit guilty about deceiving them?"

He rolled his eyes. "No. Look, they pushed me into a marriage I didn't want. I'm not ready for that yet. I'm still focused on my career. If I have to trick my parents for a bit it's not going to hurt anyone, right?" 

I stayed silent and started chewing on a handful of fries. His parents had to be horrible for him to feel this way.

I slouched in my seat. Suddenly I wasn't so hungry anymore.

Twenty minutes later, we arrived at the Swanson Estate. Lucas's parents owned a series of five-star hotels on the coast of Massachusettes; it was safe to say they were multi-millionares. Probably snobby, snooty, judgmental millionares. Lucas never let me meet them when we were in high school because he thought they wouldn't approve of me or judge me.

Lucas got out of the car first before walking around to my side. He opened the passenger door and helped me out before resting one of his hands on the small of my back. Gently guiding me to the front door, he offered words of encouragement. We rang the doorbell. I braced myself for the calculating, terrifying, controlling parents dictating their son's life and reached out for Lucas' hand. Just as we'd rehearsed.

I heard the pattering of feet on the other side of the door and gulped. Lucas squeezed my hand. Suddenly the door was opened and I was greeted by a tiny lady with shocking red, curly hair. She rambled, "Hello sweetheart! Just look at you! So beautiful! Just as Lucas described you. Come in, come in, I've heard so much about you! Here, have some cookies." She thrust a plate of golden chocolate chip cookies at me before I stepped inside and I eyed Lucas cautiously. Subtly looking toward the plate of cookies and back, I confirmed if this was the lady Lucas was so terrified of controlling his future wife. He looked me in the eyes pointedly and I tried not to laugh when I realized he was serious.

Helping myself to a cookie, I stepped inside the mansion, tugging my fake fiancé behind me. This was going to be fun.

~~~~

READ THIS NOTE!!!

OKAY. THIS IS SOOOOOO SHORT. I have MAJOR WRITER'S BLOCK GUYS AND AM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT TO WRITE. SOOOOOOOOOO SORRY FOR KEEPING YOU WAITING FOR A YEAR. I've spent this time editing this story and I am still figuring out where I want to take this plot line. I had no idea NINE months had gone by. (That sounds really dumb, but I was just busy so I only edited my stuff). I PROMISE PROMISE PROMISE I will try to get better at updating. I'm sooooo sorry for this short chapter. It shouldn't even qualify as a chapter cause it's just filler or more like an opening. It was supposed to be longer, but I got writer's block, so I'm just posting this. Thank you for being patient. I'll try to update soon!