The Rehearsal Dinner: Part 2 (Chapter 24)

"Listen sweetheart, I just wanted to take the time to thank you for everything you've done for Lucas and my family. I was beginning to think that Luke would be single forever, and I never wanted him to be lonely in the event that something happened to me or his dad. Before, he didn't have anyone besides his parents to stick by his side. Now he has you," she paused as a tear slipped down her cheek, "And I couldn't be anymore thankful. You are kind, beautiful, and stunning―I am so proud to call you my daughter."

I opened my mouth to interrupt her, but she stopped me and grabbed my hands.

"I know you probably didn't count on having a wedding so soon, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate what you've done for Lucy," pride shone through her voice as she pulled out a black, velvet box from her purse. "This bracelet has been in my family for generations. My grandmother handed it to my mother who handed it to me and now I'm handing it to you―my daughter."

The silver bangle was encrusted with small diamonds that weaved into sideways figure-eights. The jewels shone brightly against the soft, white cushioning.

A small gasp involuntarily escaped from my lips as the dazzling bracelet twinkled in the light, temporarily blinding me. "I can't, I mean I couldn't possibly take this," I stammered.

A warm smile stretched across her face. "I want to give you this bracelet. I've been saving it for the right woman, and I know now that she is you. Please, take it. One day, give it to your own daughter for me." A single tear slipped down her cheek as she seemed to realize something. "Give it to my granddaughter," she finished, brushing away the stray tear with a shaking hand.

Before I could say anything, she picked up the diamond encrusted bracelet, unwinding a small, hidden screw from the side. Once she pulled out the skinny screw, the bracelet folded in half. As the family heirloom was slipped over my wrist, I tried not to make eye contact with Cameron's mother. The guilt seemed to have lodged it's way into my throat, and I found myself speechless.

Please don't do this. I'm about to break your family's heart. I'm not the right woman.

Suddenly, the screw had been tightly wounded into place.

"Welcome to the family," Susanne said, pulling me into a tight hug. As she drew me into her arms, I forced myself to squeeze my eyes shut; it was a vain attempt to hold back tears.

~~~

"Sweetheart! Where have you been?" Lucas called from several feet away. His tone seemed relaxed enough, but I knew better. There was a frantic, wild look to his normally calm eyes. I watched him excuse himself from a conversation with one of his many relatives and quickly walk towards me, his long legs making large strides against the red and gold ornate Chinese carpet.

"Where have you been?" he hissed hysterically, ducking his head close to my ear. Placing a palm on the small of my back, he ranted, "My cousin twice removed—no wait, Amy is my cousin thrice removed; is that what you call it? Thrice-removed? Anyways, Amy's been pestering me about—"

"Lucas, I can't do this," I interject softly.

At first, he doesn't hear me. He continues rambling, "—And  so I tell her you were in charge of that, but then she starts criticizing me: Luke, you should be more involved in your own wedding. Blah, blah—he stops mocking his cousin once he processes what I just said. "What did you say?" He asks, his voice low.

I looked him straight in his beautiful sky blue eyes. "Lucas, your mom just gave me her most treasured family heirloom." I lifted the bracelet, and it shined brightly under the fuzzy light of the glass chandeliers in the Chinese restaurant. "She called me her daughter. I can't betray her like this. And look, your whole family is here to support us," I added, gesturing to the crowd in front of me. "You know how much family means to me. I mean, you saw how much I changed from before— you know, when my parents were still alive."