The Date (Chapter 4)

"You're such an idiot," I told my best friend. I selected a tight black dress, frowned at it, and put it back on the rack.

She rolled her eyes at me. "You're the idiot. I don't know why you're complaining. Drake is so hot! Don't pretend you weren't stripping him with your eyes in the kitchen this morning," she said, picking up a pink, heavily sequined dress.

A blush dusted across my cheeks. "I was not stripping him with my eyes. I was just, you know, admiring him," I corrected, recalling his muscular body.

"Whatever, you think he's hot; he thinks you're hot. What's the problem? Why don't you want to date him?

I set the dress back down on the rack of bedroom closet. "Because he only asked me out to have sex with me. He's not actually interested in me," I explained.

"What's wrong with him wanting to have sex with you? Not everything has to have a meaning to it. Why don't you just let him fuck you? You need to unwind," she said, looking me up and down.

I scoffed. Hell would freeze over before I had sex with Drake. "No, just because he's hot doesn't mean I should have sex with him. In fact, using him for sex would make me exactly like him. I'm not some toy for him to play with, and he isn't a toy for me either. I just want to be treated like a human being, someone alive with feelings. Why can't men just treat women like they're people?"

"Not all men are like that," Chelsea countered. "Besides, you can't change how men see women. What do they say--boys will be boys? Well, guess what? Men will be men. You might as well have some fun out of it. If I wasn't engaged, I would let him fuck me in a heartbeat."

I laughed. "Chelsea," I chided, "What the hell is wrong with you?"

She rolled her eyes, picking up a red dress and throwing it on the bed. "Well, excuse me for being horny. Matt and I have decided not to have sex until the wedding to make our wedding night special, but it's been a lot more difficult than I thought."

I stifled a laugh as Chelsea frowned. "That's a little too much information for me, but I guess can't un-know it." I pick up a green dress for a moment and then set it back down. "And for the record, I do think women can change how men see them."

"Hmm," Chelsea mused.

I thought she was going to make a comment about how women should be treated as equals to men, but instead, she picked up a strapless white dress. "What do you think about this?" she asked, fishing around the bottom of the closet for a pair of matching heels.

"No," I shook my head, rejecting the revealing dress. "What about this?" I asked, holding up a yellow sunflower dress.

She turned to face me quickly, encouraged by my cooperation, but frowned as soon as she saw the outfit. "Anna, that looks like a two-year old's birthday party dress, and it makes your butt look big."

I narrowed my eyes at my so-called best friend and slumped onto the bed. "Then why don't you tell me what to wear Miss Queen of Fashion? I'll just stop looking for your approval and let you pick."

She giggled. "Soon to be Mrs. Queen of Fashion."

I pretended to gag, and she threw a plush pillow at my head. As she fished through my never-ending closet, I reflected on the impending date. Although I had insisted on staying home, Chelsea had forced me to get ready to go out. I'd finally relented because it had become apparent that Chelsea was going to shove me out the door with Drake, regardless of what I wanted. She thought it was important for me to go out on a date because she knew it had been years since I even dated anyone. She'd started leafing through my closet over an hour ago, and when I noticed that every single outfit she chose was too revealing for my liking, I jumped in to help. Now, I was exhausted. I didn't care what I wore anymore, I just wanted to change and get the date over with.