Chapter 4

THE PREPARATION

"It's not the will to win that matters. Everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters."

Paul "bear" Bryant

Five years has gone so fast. In those five years many things has been change and events happened.

Eaton was walking towards the pack house together with his four teammates after they finished their patrol shift and they were planning to get some rest. This week is one of the hell weeks for them as their pack was chosen to host the Alliance Party this year; everyone was busy in preparation for the upcoming event.

The Alliance Party was held in celebration of twenty fourth year of alliance between three well-known packs; the Wolfsbane Pack, Sage Pack, Crescent pack and the small packs that was near its territory. Also, it is a tribute in memories of Crescent pack. It's been seventeen years since the Crescent pack was annihilated by the Rouges.

They tighten their security to ensure the safety of the coming Alphas and members from the different packs.

Eaton went to the kitchen to get some water. His throat was itching to drink cold water. As he entered the kitchen, his eyes landed to her.

He gulped audibly as she was sipping her coffee while reading some documents then looked at him. Eaton smiled nervously but she just looked back to the documents she was reading without even returning the smile to Eaton.

Eaton sighed silently and walked passed at her towards the fridge. When he opens the fridge, the coldness of it touches his skin and he sighed in pleasure.

The weather today is still hot even though the autumn season is approaching.

"...Close the fridge" Eaton jolted in surprise as he heard a cold voice – colder the fridge in the front of him.

"Sorry" He quickly apologizes and immediately got a bottle of water then closed the fridge. As he gulped the water, his eyes were unconsciously watching her. He remembers it clearly the first time she shown up and the Alpha welcome her in the pack.

In the first glance, no one would imagine that she was the Rouge they found in the cliff. The Rouge who was covered in bruises and wounds; clothes that are ripped showing the old and new scars; Hair was strayed as the wind blows in the cold night. The Rouge who looked vulnerable and fragile but now, no one has ever thought that she'll become the strongest Sentinel in their pack – that she would become dangerous and lethal.

"Oh good! You're both here" Beta Nicholas walked in getting the attention of Eaton and her; smiling at the as he looked back and forth between the two. She raised her head to looked at Beta Nicholas while Eaton frowned his head, "you two will accompany the Alpha in the party tomorrow night"

She nodded and continues what she was reading again.

"But..." Eaton said getting the attention of Beta Nicholas.

"Do you have any complain, Eaton?" Beta Nicholas looked straight at Eaton.

"Yes... ...n-no!..." He stuttered, "I mean the Alpha knows I hate formal party" He was sure of it!

"Well, Why don't you tell that to the Alpha" Beta Nicholas replied, "Maybe he forgot about that detail" he laughed and left.

'Oh come on! You've got to be kidding me' Eaton groaned.

+++

Early in the morning, Eaton was standing beside the Alpha and Beta Nicholas in the front door of the pack house waiting for the Sage pack. It was customary for the Alpha to wait and greet personally the newly arrived guests.

Eaton sighed in relieved knowing that she wasn't there. He was thankful that every morning until sunset, she was assigned to guard the cliff.

Every morning until sunset, she finds refuge in the forest, specifically near the cliff. She hates the light coming from the sun and she always hides in the shadows – in the darkness.

It's been five years and Eaton still feels the chill in his spine every time his thought wondered to the Rouge. Eaton shook his head slightly and stood up straight.

A few minutes, the roaring engines of several cars entered the gate of the pack house. The cars stopped right in the front of the house. The Sage packs members got out from their cars together with their Alpha. The Alpha of Sage pack walked towards them with his son and daughter.

"Alpha Slade" the Alpha of Sage pack addressed the Alpha waiting at them in the front of the house and smiled reaching out his hand.

"Alpha Shiloh" Alpha Slade smiled in returned and took Alpha Shiloh's hand shaking it gently. "Welcome to the Wolfsbane pack" Alpha Slade warmly welcomes the Sage pack. He gestured the guests to enter the pack house. They only accommodate the Sage pack and Crescent pack since their territory is six to seven hours of travel by car unlike other small's packs that are one hour travel time to get the Wolfsbane territory.

"So where's your eldest?" Alpha Slade asked seeing Alpha Shiloh only brought his second and third child.

"I left him in the pack" Alpha Shiloh replied, "together with my Beta. I can't leave the pack unprotected, not now"

Alpha Slade nodded, "you should rest first, and then after the party we can discuss that."

Alpha Shiloh smiled, "Alright and thank you"

They guided the Alpha's family in the room designated for the Alpha Shiloh's family.

Alpha Slade gently closed the door and looked at Eaton, "Go to your room and prepare for the party tonight." He turned his back but after a few steps he remembers something. He turned back to looked at Eaton again. "Tell her that too."

Eaton's eyes shot open and before he could complain Alpha Slade already left. "Why it does always has to be me?" he whispered.

With heavy heart, Eaton went to the forest to find her. He sniffs in the air trying to catch her scent but only the smell of the fresh tree and flowers entered in his nose.

He sighed.

Where is she? She's really good at hiding her scent.

Eaton aimlessly walked until he reached the cliff and there he finally found her.

She was sitting in the foot of the large tree that's hides her from the bright light of the sun. Her eyes were closed and she was leaning comfortably in the body of the tree. She was surrounded by Wolfsbane flowers. She was sitting perfectly still as Eaton nervously walked towards her and stop a few meters between them.

Eaton couldn't deny that she was the most beautiful she-wolf, he has ever seen. She has a straight black hair – beautifully long up to her waist; she has a fair skin unlike other she-wolf that has sun kissed skin.

Then she opens her eyes.

Ah! There! Eaton thought silently in his mind, the most beautiful and uniquely rare violet eyes I've ever seen.

Eaton cleared his throat and inhale deeply, "Alpha said that you should go home to prepare for the party tonight."

Silence...

Eaton felt awkward as she didn't reply and just stared at him. Eaton opens his mouth again to repeat what he said a while ago but she cut him off.

"I heard you" She closed her eyes again.

'Why does my body feel cold every time I hear her voice?' Eaton thought as she shivered and left.