Chapter 23

The truth

Paige walked closer to her twin brother when she saw his tears wear slowly slide in his cheeks.

"You are really the emotional one" Paige chuckles lightly as she wipes the left cheek of her twin brother with her right hand, "you really look like our dad" she smiled sadly.

"And you look like our mom" Payne smile widely as he put his right in his twin sister's left cheek.

They stay in that position for a minute when Paige remember something, "oh there are people I want you to meet." Paige looked back and signals them to come closer.

"This is Alpha Slade of Wolfsbane pack and his Sentinels" Paige said pointing at them.

The Wolfsbane Sentinels bow deeply to Payne while Alpha Slade bow slightly and looked at him.

"I know him"

"Really?" Paige blinked in surprise.

"Yeah" Payne nodded, "the last time I saw him was when we were four years old at the Alliance party hosted by our Pack"

"That was twenty years ago"

Alpha Slade laughed, "You have a very sharp memory"

Payne shrugged, "well unlike my sister who's not good in memory"

"And whose fault is that?" Paige rolled her eyes.

Solomon stood there watching their conversation when Payne looked at him. He stood up straight and gulped quietly feeling nervous under the stare of his mate's brother.

Paige looked at the two and said, "Payne, this is my Lifemate" she put her arms in Solomon's waist, "Solomon, son of Alpha Shiloh of Sage pack"

Payne stared at Solomon as if he didn't heard what Paige said.

"Payne?"

His eyes fell on Solomon's neck and saw the long slanted scar. 'The fatal wound' he thought.

"Payne?" Paige called again.

Payne blinked a few time after hearing Paige calling him for a second time and looked at Paige who was frowning at him. He smiled and looked back to Solomon, "congratulation"

Paige worriedly looked at Payne as she saw his smiled faltered the moment he laid his eyes on Solomon. "Thank you" she replied.

"Oh speaking of Lifemate" Payne said as cheerfulness is back. "I'll like you to meet my Lifemate too" he said looking back and nod to the people at the gate. A blue eyed woman stood beside him, "this is Alena, my Lifemate" he put his arm around his mate's shoulder pull her in his body.

Paige looked at the Alena for a few second as Alena averted her eyes from her and then she looked back to her twin brother. She opens her mouth to say something but Payne spoke first.

"I know what you're thinking" Paige lifted her eyebrow, "we can talk about it later"

Paige disagree especially this is a very important matter but judging the way her twin brother looked at her, she shut her mouth and sighed. "Later" she repeats reminding her twin brother that she won't let this matter go.

Payne smiled then looked at everyone. "I know you all tired, I've already prepared a room for all of you."

Everyone nodded and went inside the mansion.