Chapter 3

Dan's POV

*time skip a few nights later*

No matter what I tried, I couldn't sleep. It was 3am and I really couldn't sleep. Like every night, really.

My laptop, just out of reach was just staring at me, like it was mocking me. I would need to get out of bed to get it and I was half naked and it was freezing. But I would have to get it in the end.

Swiftly, I pulled the covers off of me in one quick movement, rolled out of bed, then quickly rushed forwards and grabbed my laptop. Just as quickly, I darted back to bed and somehow ended up in my normal scrolling position. I had never moved that fast in my life.

As though it was some sort of instinct, I automatically opened up tumblr and started to scroll, occasionally liking some posts. Soon, I found that I had somehow ended up in the phan tag. Yet I continued to scroll; I was curious to see what my fans were up to. Maybe even the phan shippers, it was always funny to see what "proof" they had found.

After scrolling for a few minutes, I came across a sort of edit of Phil and I. It was a video edit with the caption, "Heart Eyes Howell". Curious, I play it and I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Was I really that obvious? Did Phil notice? I didn't even realise I gave him that look, it was just how I looked at him.

After watching the edit, I'd been somewhat put off by the phan tag; I didn't want anymore proof in something that I had already been suspecting was happening.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door, I looked up to see Phil standing there. He didn't look like he had slept either.

"I haven't been able to sleep," he spoke, leaning on my door frame, "Do you want to watch some anime?"

Trying to act casually, I closed my laptop and replied to him,
"Sure, what do you want to watch?"

"Death note?"

"That sounds good, Phil,"

Honestly, I didn't really want to move from the warmth of my bed again but I liked watching anime with Phil.

Phil's POV

"Should we go watch it then?" I ask Dan, as he had not made any move to get out of his bed.

"Oh right, let's go," Dan replied to me, laughing to himself as he pulled his covers off of him.

As he stood up, he revealed that he was, in fact, topless. I did not want to let my eyes wander so I just looked away from Dan altogether, instead looking at the Totoro toy on top of his drawers. I'd almost forgotten we had that, and we'd only had it for a few days.

I walked over to it, picking it up, deciding that I would play with it while we watched Death Note.

Dan came over to me.

"Sorry, Phil, need to get a shirt," Dan says, standing right behind me.

Being me, I managed to almost push Dan over as I tried to walk past him and he had to grab hold of me to not fall.

His body was almost touching mine and I suddenly felt very uncomfortable in this situation.

"Sorry," I said, then quickly walked out of the room, the toy still in my hand, heading straight for the living room. I started to turn on the television and set up Death Note until I heard Dan calling me.

"Phil," Dan was standing in the living room doorway, still topless.

I gulped.

"Um, yeah?" I answered, trying to act as casually as I could.

"I can't find a clean top, could I just borrow one?"

"Oh yeah sure, Dan. Just go get one from my room,"

Dan walked away and I realise how I was really nervous for some reason. Why am I being so awkward around him? He should be able to walk around topless if he wants and I shouldn't feel weird about it; he's my friend.

A few minutes later, Dan returns wearing my purple Gengar shirt. To be honest, he really did look quite good in my clothes.

I grab the remote and sit on the sofa, then put on my glasses. Dan quickly comes over and sits right next to me, quite close to me.

He must have sensed I was a bit nervous as he then moved away slightly. I frowned at the loss of the warmth that almost seemed to be radiating from him. I pressed play and just relaxed. I loved anime and I loved... What was wrong with me?

Maybe the anime would help clear my mind and just make me start to think normally again. As I watched, I just fiddled with the Totoro toy but I still couldn't really focus on what was happening in the show. I couldn't focus on anything. But I could feel Dan right next to me and that was all I was focused on.