↳ CHAPTER ONE

ONE THING THAT Olympia Amodei absolutely hated admitting was the fact that her mind, more specifically her memory, was riddled with gaps and inconsistencies — the occasional voids in her knowledge were caused by things she wasn't so sure she wanted to dig up, as nowadays, her life was more than sufficient. However, even if her past was a little hazy, she liked to think that she was a mostly innocent being — even now, as she and her friends stood in the busy hallway of their nearest hospital, her eyes warily glancing at every passerby and her teeth anxiously gnawing on her cheek.

She wanted to be glad that they had delivered the stranger to the medical center for a check-up, but as Jane stood at the counter to fill out all the necessary forms with a nurse, she couldn't help but feel like they were bringing themselves to be judged, in the process. After all, they had driven into the man, and who knew what kind of intentions he came bearing? There was a lot to be cautious about, whether it was the royal clothing he had shown up in or the fact that he had been caught up in the hurricane at all — yet somehow, the inconsistencies in his story weren't causing as much trouble to Olympia as standing there for all eyes to see.

"He said his name was... Thor?" The Amodei's attention was drawn back to Jane, who breathed out nervously, flashing an innocent smile at the nurse before glancing at her companions to receive the convincing nods she needed for support. Olympia supposed that Thor was a fitting name for the otherworldly bunch of muscles and confidence, though hearing his determined introduction in the middle of the desert had surged something indecipherable in her soul. Then again, with a unique name like hers, who was she to judge?

The nurse nodded slowly, clearly gaining some new stories to share at lunch as she trailed her eyes to the stack of papers in her hands. The slow pace they had kept up for the better part of an hour now didn't sit so well with Olympia though, and with a weary sigh she didn't hide too well, the woman made a turn on her heel and headed for the room she had seen a bunch of nurses walk a confused, puppy-like Thor. She guessed that apologizing was in place — she was part of the reason why she had been strapped to the bed, to begin with — but on top of that guilt she was trying to ignore, there was just a hint of enthusiasm that was telling her to ask questions and find out more.

With her hands deep in the pockets of her adopted sweatpants, Olympia blew wild curls away from her face every two seconds as the hastily-made ponytail fell apart around her, but when she reached the right door, her entire stance came to a halt. Rather than finding a sedated Thor poking at a jello cup, she came face to face with an empty, silent room with knocked-out doctors on the floor and the furniture scattered all over the place, causing her heart to sink. Clearly, Thor hadn't agreed with the idea of being probed and inspected.

As the gravity of the situation weighed in, Olympia pulled her hands out of her pockets and scrambled into a sprint, her heart beginning to race as she called out to her friends from down the hall. "He's gone!" she announced with a shaky tone as she approached the counter, out of breath after the most minimal of physical challenges, "he's not in his room. Just a—a bunch of doctors he smacked around, I think?"