↳ CHAPTER FOUR

          THE TENSION IN the car was palpable, expanding with each second as Olympia and Jane dropped Darcy at her own place before heading over to what Jane had grown to call a temporary home. Needless to say, the small caravan she had settled into was proof that being a self-employed astrophysicist didn't pay all too well, and the space had shrunk doubly when Olympia's break-up had left her homeless. Always a kind soul, Jane had offered her a place to stay, and although the vehicle was small, tiny even, with the two of them stuffed inside and Erik regularly stopping by, it was cozy too — the Amodei's favorite part of every day was undoubtedly getting home, kicking off her shoes and drinking a cup of warm coffee.

          Something nagging in the back of her head told her that tonight wasn't going to be quite so relaxed, though, and it was evident in the thick silence that enveloped her and the Foster in its iron grip for the rest of the drive.

          As soon as Olympia had parked the truck next to the familiar caravan radiating warmth, and the two women strolled towards the inconveniently half-broken door, Jane jumped right in — as if being in the truck had been some kind of an obstacle to stop her from prying. Maybe she thought the mention of Thor would cause Olympia to crash them both into a streetlight.

          "So, Olly — you and Thor, huh?" she probed at the topic destined to be their most awkward one yet while fumbling with her keys, and silently rolling her eyes behind her, Olympia sucked in a breath. Staying outside under the star-littered sky didn't seem like a bad idea right about now, and she knew that the heat crawling onto her skin wasn't just because of the New Mexico air, yet when Jane successfully stormed the caravan, she followed in her footsteps with her arms crossed over her chest grumpily.

         "Still don't approve of the nickname", she noted at first, happy that it hadn't taken place in a while, but it tended to slip from her friends whenever they wanted something. With Darcy, it was more frequent, but Jane had her moments, and when she eyed Olympia curiously despite trying to focus on their coffee pot, it was clear that this was one of them. "And, there's no Thor and I. It's just me, and well, then there's Thor", she clarified while resting against the countertop, painting two separate figures in the air with her slender hands as she explained. She failed to radiate confidence in her defense, though, and the feeble attempt at denying Jane's allegations didn't impress the brunette either, earning a doubtful look from her in the process.

          "There is totally you and Thor. Haven't you seen the way he looks at you?" she inquired with a hushed tone, almost like the man himself was lurking around the corner. Before the fondly spoken words could set Olympia's heart on fire, however, Jane continued with, "I'm pretty sure you look at him the same way, too." At last, the blonde glanced up at her with a dropped jaw, ready for arguments to roll out yet nothing but an incredulous scoff drowned out the whirring of their old but reliable coffee pot. She would have loved to disagree, considering that Thor was still half a stranger and it hadn't been too long since she and her boyfriend had parted ways — somehow, though, the words just didn't make it into the air.