↳ CHAPTER FIVE

FOR AS LONG as she could remember, Olympia had been surrounded by people living their personal dreams— maybe Jane, Darcy, and Erik weren't the wealthiest of their neighborhood and, sure, they were far from perfect, but they followed their passions...

FOR AS LONG as she could remember, Olympia had been surrounded by people living their personal dreams— maybe Jane, Darcy, and Erik weren't the wealthiest of their neighborhood and, sure, they were far from perfect, but they followed their passions, not to mention their own rules. In a way, they were always living out a scene from a cheesy rom-com where they defined their own worth, and as grateful as Olympia was for everything they had given her, she still felt like she lacked a purpose. That was something that she had secretly hoped to have all this time — her own movie moment.

And suddenly, it felt like it had fallen upon her like a bucket of ice cold water, blocking her from breathing, and it did not feel good at all.

It wasn't even the aspect of this dreamy, apparently otherworldly man sitting beside her under the stars, in front of a romantic fire — that still had the potential to be a tad too realistic daydream. But instead, she was stuck in slow motion, a brutal loop to remind her of everything she had been deprived of: her childhood was a mere haze, and there wasn't much foundation to build her entire identity on. She had no memory of a home before New Mexico, and the deeper it sank with each passing second, the more Olympia grew bitter and heartbroken. Where was her mother? Father? Where were the embarrassing photos of her as a kid? Where were the stereotypical cool uncles and aunts with an unexplainable affection for wine?

And now, suddenly her purpose was to be someone's wife?

"You're kidding, right?" Olympia breathed out, at last, an unknown amount of time between Thor's questionable confession and this very moment, where she looked up from the dirt on the ground and over to his ocean eyes with knitted eyebrows. How could she be his soulmate? How did a thing like a soulmate even exist? The questions barely scratched the surface of the ball of confusion trapped within Olympia's mind, giving way to an irritating headache as amusement seeped through the cracks and she gave Thor a doubtful stare.

"I cannot change what has been decided. And I couldn't possibly live a day longer without reaching out to you, Olympia. But, I understand this is quite a lot to handle, so if you so wish to, take a moment—", the Asgardian started out warily, moving on uncharted territory, and even though he carried the kindest of intentions, Olympia was quick to shoot down his attempt at comfort.

"Uh, you're damn right I will! This is insane and—", the blonde took in a shaky breath, leaning back in her chair, but when her eyes caught Thor's widening ones, she couldn't help but let out a tired exhale and place her hands on her forehead. "—And it's not your fault, I know that. I shouldn't snap", she admitted shyly, "but how do you expect me to believe that you're from another, uh, realm and you have a magic hammer and I'm supposed to be the queen of anything? How do I know you're not just some... weirdo trying to get into my pants with this royalty shtick?"

Growing visibly concerned, Thor lifted a protective hand and eyed Olympia with alert eyes. "Wha— is that... common behavior on Midgard? I assure you—", he was about to burst into a rant, before drawing in some fresh air and nodding in defeat. "Very well, I admit that I should probably offer some proof. And, if you'll let me, I would like to do that. But, to begin with, what you call a magic hammer is Mjölnir, my weapon and so far I'm the only one worthy of holding it. Or, I thought I was. You lifted it."