↳ PROLOGUE

        "THIS IS SO STUPID."

        For someone who had promised to work on her manners, Olympia Amodei sure seemed unbothered as she munched on a sloppy cheeseburger in the front of her friends' totally-not-creepy truck. She liked to take pride in being a supportive friend who, more often than not, could be talked into the craziest scenarios, but right now, she was silently hoping for her best friend — the notorious Jane Foster — to face the facts. Which, in this case, was undeniably her project "Hey, let's go drive around in the middle of the night in case some aliens decide to show up" being a total and utter flop.

        There might have been a slightly bitter undertone in her complaint as she sat back and dug a lonesome pickle from the wrapper before scrunching it up in her fist — unlike Jane, she wasn't an astrophysicist or even smart like her, nor was she an intern blessed with a sharp tongue like Darcy Lewis. She simply tagged along because she didn't have anything better to do but to be there for the closest thing she had to a family; as much as she appreciated them, there was no denying that being the only one without a concrete purpose in the vehicle churned uncomfortably in the pit of her stomach. It couldn't have been hunger anymore, anyway.

       At least she wasn't out of her mind, unlike the two other women and Dr. Erik Selvig, who, despite his efforts to turn Jane's head around seemed to be secretly on board with her schemes, as well.

       "We haven't seen a thing all night. I get that you do this for a living and whatnot but can we go home now?" Olympia huffed, strays of her blonde hair blowing to the side as she tossed the empty burger wrapper and graced a glance outside. "I'm out of food and I just want to sleep. It's late, you know", she attempted to defend herself, her arms subconsciously crossing over her chest as she eyed the bleak, deserted surroundings through the dimmed window of her side of the car.

        However, when no response came, she made an elaborate turn on the seat and darted an impatient look at Jane, only for the latter to pay no mind as she scrambled through her papers like a crazy person — only a doctor's word on the matter stopping Olympia from being convinced. As much as she loved the woman, her late-night ventures could get tiring.

        With her eyes twinkling with something clever, Darcy opened her mouth, very likely to let out a characteristic, sassy remark but before she could, Jane erupted into an explanation. "No, it's supposed to happen right here, tonight, I'm sure of it! This is a phenomenon we can't miss out on, so if you could just kindly be quiet and let me do this—", Jane ranted with a vehement tone, leaving no room for arguments except an overwhelmed roll of eyes from Olympia, whose ears simply buzzed as the scientific terms began to roll in. Admittedly, she wasn't so sure they'd crossed paths if she hadn't stumbled into their favorite diner like a lost little lamb years ago, 

        "Um, Jane", Darcy interjected, at last, a horrified expression painted across her face as she turned to the backseat with a gulp, "I think you want to see this."

        The astrophysicist stumbled from the back of the Pinzgauer to the front, where she carefully nudged Olympia to the side, no doubt earning a glare of piercing blue in doing so. But when the Foster wound up staring out of the windshield with eyes blown wide and lips parted only for nothing to come out, Olympia felt her own heart leap with curiosity — rightfully so, because when she forced her way closer to the stained glass, she caught sight of the sky whipping around in wild whirlwinds before forming a relentless hurricane against the ground. Lightning rumbled in the distance in an eerie addition to the variety of hues that suddenly peeked from behind the soft clouds, and whereas Darcy and Olympia both shivered in intimidation, Jane was beyond intrigued.

        "Go closer!" she screeched despite Dr. Selvig's attempts to change her mind, but not even Darcy's reluctance was enough to stop them from suddenly jolting into motion as the Lewis stepped on the gas pedal and headed right towards the eye of the storm. As they sped over the bumps and holes in the dry ground, Olympia slumped against the door, her cheek squeezed against the chilly window while rain slammed onto the other side in an endless loop. There was something oddly familiar in the discomfort that swallowed her whole, but rather than screaming or voicing her concerns of Jane's impulses, she shut her eyes and prayed for her to come to her senses.

       Yet, somehow, the nearing hurricane didn't worry her in the slightest, as she only instructed Darcy to go closer and faster.

       "Hell no, I'm not dying for six college credits", the intern changed her mind at last minute, and with a sudden twist of the wheel, she steered the car in the opposite direction, only for the side to slam into something firm in the process.

       As the form of a man vanished as quickly as it had appeared by Olympia's window, all three women squealed, only for complete silence to dawn between them when Darcy stomped on the brakes and the dust around them settled. The creature they had undoubtedly killed, vanished into the calming storm, and as only their heavy breaths filled the truck, Olympia noted how the chaos between them had suddenly disappeared, just like that. There was no sign of natural disasters outside, only peace and quiet and right by their car, the limp body of whoever or whatever they had hit.

       "You guys, we killed someone!" Olympia cried out in despair but as her usual, bold self, she was the first one to yank the door open and stumble out of the vehicle. Whether they were driven by fear or support, the rest of the team followed suit, standing right by her heel as the blonde ran her fingers through her curls and shook her head. "If he needs CPR, I definitely won't—", she began with a judgmental tone, but when her alarmed gaze landed on the gorgeous man lying on the ground, she quickly held her tongue and corrected her train of thought, "—mind giving him some. I totally know CPR."

        With one brief look at her friends, she could spot Erik's disapproving stare, but never quite grown out of her rebellious teen years, the Amodei turned back to the unconscious creature with a nervous lick of her lips. If he happened to be truly dead, getting her fingerprints on him was most likely ill-advised, yet the potential for danger didn't stop the woman from kneeling beside the man and eyeing his appearance with wonder and amazement. Jane's pleas for him to be alive almost tuned out as Olympia admired his long, blonde hair, the dashing eyelashes resting on a pair of statue-like cheekbones and the full lips in a thoughtful pout.

        It wasn't until his eyes suddenly flew open though, that Olympia's heart rose all the way to her throat, the dazzling shade of blue shooting through her like an electric shock as she stumbled backwards and fell on the ground. Fear replaced adoration, like a bucket of cold water drenching her throughout as she stared up at the hunk of a man who made an awkward rise to both feet, hardly affected by the less than gentle bump of their truck.

       As the stranger groaned and narrowed his eyes at the surroundings, almost as if he was lost, Jane and Darcy hauled Olympia up from the ground, all of them growing more and more confused by the second. Not only was his attire unique in its red cape and the shiny armor wrapped around his broad chest, but then he happened to open his hand expectantly, and in a matter of seconds, a heavy, silver hammer slashed through the air and made a firm landing against his palm. It fit like a glove, and that was only partly why the three women and Dr. Selvig stared at him, bug-eyed.

       And when his wandering gaze finally settled on the group of scared humans, his eyebrows knitted together and his voice broke the uneasy silence in the unreasonably calm night in a gruff tone.

       "Is this Midgard?"