Chapter 5 I Know

A/N: Thanks for reading, voting and commenting!

Chapter 5 I Know

As we ran I lost track of time. Even as it got darker, till no light was left I kept running around the property. Jasper easily kept up and wasn't out of breath, nor was I. It felt good to run with him, to just be alone with him, without words being exchanged, to just be, to be next to someone and not have to think about the appropriate response for what they had just said to you. I knew we should be getting back soon, my new family thought I was human and I had been running for almost five hours.

I knew I would have some explaining to do when I got inside, but if I had to share my secret then they would have to share theirs, which I guess wasn't much of a secret since I knew. After our 6ooth lap I came back to the front door and pulled out my head phones so we could talk. "Did you have a good run?" Carlisle asked from his spot on the couch.

"Yes, thank you Carlisle," I said going into the kitchen to get some water and an apple.

"When you're done can you come in here?" Esme asked. I could hear the whole family coming in to the living room. It was time.

"Yeah, just give me a few minutes," I said getting into the fridge and pulling out a sandwich I had made earlier. I grabbed it, my apple and water and came to sit next to Jasper on the love seat. "So what's going on?" I asked deciding to play innocent but making sure to keep Edward out of my head. Honestly it was quiet fun to play with him, to one minute let him in my head and the next kick him out.

"You seem to be aware of our gifts, that I can read minds," Edward said. I looked at him, telling him to continue as I ate my sandwich. "At graduation today you asked me to thank Jasper for you, but now I can't read your mind. When you first arrived you threw me out of your head. And you telling me to thank Jasper tells me that you know what he can do as well."

"You're not wrong," I said taking another bite. I swallowed, "While we're on the topic, I know." Silence was the only thing that greeted my statement.

"Know what?" Emmett asked.

I rolled my eyes, "I know that you are vampires," I said. More silence. "Perhaps I should explain a little bit about the world my birth parents are from and about that orphanage you found me in." I set my food down and used my napkin. "There are several worlds; I guess you could call them parallel universes. These worlds exist long side the humans' world and sometimes, they collide."

"So you're from one of these other worlds?" Carlisle asked.

"The same as you, most of my ancestors walk among the humans unnoticed. In my world there are vampires but of a different variety than you, but they are the ones that drink human blood. The ones that are from my world, yes they do drink blood, they're fast, pale, strong. The way they differ is the way they feed. They only feed from a willing victim and they don't drain all the blood. Most of them also have an ability, usually involving magic and no not what like you guys do."

Edward opened his mouth to say something, but I stopped him. "No the vampires in my world can't do what I do, but I'm a lot more than just a vampire. I'm only ¼ vampire." I let that sink in. "The other big difference between the vampires in my world are that if they are born a vampire then they can get pregnant, if they were bitten, they cannot. I was born, my mother was also a witch, she was a hybrid. My father was a shifter, meaning he could take on any form he chose. I am half shifter, ¼ witch and ¼ vampire."

"So what can you do? And why were you at that orphanage?" Jasper asked.

"Well you already know I can run on end, I'm faster than a vampire or the werewolf in your world. In mine a werewolf is a creature that phases with the moon and has no control of his own mind or body. I am also stronger." At that Emmett scoffed. "Do you want me to prove it to you Emmett?" I asked.

"Oh you're on, and you race Edward, he's the fastest among us," Emmett said standing.

I motioned for him to sit, "When I am done with my story I will wrestle you, but outside. Let's not destroy the house." Esme smiled at me. "I can perform limited magic which is how I am able to keep Edward from reading my mind; how I am able to read his if I so choose or keep Jasper from using his gift on me. I can also change my form, right now I have only one shift, but I will gain more as I age. I'm not strong enough right now to hold more than one. And as for my aging, it takes 200 hundred years to equal one human year. So I am thirteen in human years but actually I'm 2600."

Everyone's draw dropped. Jasper was the first to recover, "And you've been at the orphanage all this time?"

"Yeah, it's an orphanage for people like me, for the mythical beings of the world. Mrs. Saunders has been there for as long as I can remember. I've been adopted a few times but always sent back. Humans didn't know what to do with me; it was never the right fit. I was sent back before I had been there for six months."

"Does your kind have mates?" Edward asked.

"Yeah, we do. It usually takes a really long time to find them though. My kind also likes the mate to make the first move; our mate is always of another species, so they have to make the first move to give the other permission to pursue the relationship." I felt happiness well up in Jasper. I looked at him, had he been feeling the same about me as I had him?

"What about your diet?" Carlisle asked.

"Human food, the only time I crave blood is after my period which occurs once every hundred years," I replied.

"Do you sleep?" Rose asked.

"Yeah I do, in all my habits I am very much human, but I am not as fragile. I mean I am compared to you, but to a human let's just I'm a Toyota and humans are a Ford, a piece of crap when it comes to being sturdy." I got a few laughs from that.

"All right, let's brawl," Emmett said standing on the couch.

I laughed, "Just don't break me Emmett," I said heading outside. Our fight was fast, just a blur to humans. It ended with me using my legs to put him in a choke hold while the rest of my body went under him and held his legs together, pinning him as he tried to roll to get free but with each roll my grip got tighter.

Emmett tapped out and I released him. "Impressive," Jasper said smiling at me. I gave him a smirk.

I turned to Edward and he nodded, "Sure, what the hell," he said coming to stand beside me. I showed him the route I had run with Jasper, asking for two laps. He nodded once again. Emmett gave the go and we both took off and I was back at Carlisle's side in less than a second. Three seconds later Edward joined us. "Did you even move?" he asked.

"She did, she's a blur to our eyes that she moves so fast," Jasper said.

"We'll have to talk to the tribe," Carlisle said.

"They already know about me, since I don't hunt humans they tolerate me. I'm not a full blooded vampire; I'm more like them than you. They let me come visit them on their turf." They all turned to look at me. "I've been a part of their legends for years."

"When you do drink blood, how much do you drink?" Carlisle asked.

"A rabbit or a squirrel," I answered shrugging my shoulders.