chapter three

You can't believe your eyes. Sitting in front of you was a cup of hot soup and a huge chunk of bread. It's the most food you've seen in months, and you're afraid that at any moment you'll blink and it'll disappear. As you lift up the spoon and scoop up a spoonful of the hearty chicken and fresh carrots and peas, your stomach growls. You put the spoon past your chapped lips and sigh as the flavors hits your tongue.

"Sweetie, when was the last time you ate?" Aunt Cass questions. Her generosity was overwhelming to you. The moment Tadashi returned to the bathroom, she was at his side. She immediately ran to you and checked over you - for bites or weapons, you're unsure - and then you were whisked away to the living room.

She sat you down, gave you a large glass of water, and covered you with a soft blanket as she boiled hot water for a bath. As you waited, Hiro and their cat, Mochi, kept you company. After your bath and your hour of relaxation, you felt as if you were in a dream.

You think about it. When was the last time you ate? Since those guys ruined your potential lunch of tuna and canned apples - your answer surprises even yourself. "Three days ago," you say. Their eyes widen. "All of the stores have been picked over now. I don't have much, but what I do have I'll share with you."

"You can't-" Tadashi starts.

"I have to," you insist. "It's the least I can do after you saved my life."

"You really shouldn't," Aunt Cass says. "After all, we're always open to guests."

"We really shouldn't be like that," Hiro grumbles.

"Hiro!" Aunt Cass gasps. "She needed help!"

"Are you saying that we should've left her alone? Who knows what those guys could've done!" Tadashi shakes his head at his brother.

"All I'm saying is that it's dangerous out there," Hiro replies, "and letting people in could cost us this house or even our lives!"

Tadashi glares daggers at his little brother. "People need help out there. Someone has to help."

Hiro stiffens at this. Aunt Cass purses her lips together and says, "Well, it's over now. We're helping her, and that's it. I'm not leaving a poor little girl out there to fight against those... those things. It's not right. And Hiro Hamada, if you have to remember something, please remember our humanity. Just because the world out there is falling apart, that doesn't mean that we have to fall apart. Do you hear me?" The tears fill her eyes. You fall completely silent. Her nephews both look down and turn their attention to their food.

"I can leave," you mumble. Tadashi looks at you in surprise. "I can. It's not a problem."

"No," Tadashi says. "No, you're fine to stay right here."

"Are you sure?" you ask. "I don't want to intrude-"

"We're sure," Tadashi assures you. He flashes a warm, bright smile. It looks warm and welcoming, and it calms your nervousness down a bit.

"Okay," you breathe.

After dinner, you bring up your backpack and empty it. You look down at the only belongings you have left. Your crowbar, the can of apples, a couple of hair ties, a couple of empty plastic baggies, a bottle of ibuprofen, a beanie, your almost empty water bottle, and a picture of your family.

"Like I said," you say, "I don't have much." You pick up the bottle of ibuprofen. "But you said that you needed painkillers, so here." You toss it to Tadashi, who catches it and smiles. "I'll also do anything you need. Cook, clean, help guard this place... anything."

Aunt Cass looks at your things in horror. "Sweetie, how long have you been on your own?"

"Since my family left, maybe, like, four days after the first attack? They went to get my grandma and then go to LA. I'm supposed to meet them there, which is still a struggle since I don't have a car." You shrug. "I'm sure I'll get to them before too long-"

"Did you say LA?" Aunt Cass asks.

You nod. "Yeah, why?"

They all look at you with the greatest amount of sympathy you've ever seen. You almost know even before they say it.

"___, LA is overrun with them. There's nothing left."