chapter twenty-eight

He watches you collapse, your t-shirt soaked in the creeper blood and your own. His smile falters, his eyes widen, and his heart sinks to his feet as he realizes what just happened. You were shot. "No!" he screams, running to your side. He falls to his knees in panic and despair. You're on your back, your body twitching and shaking violently in shock. "Oh gosh, ___, no!" he sobs, his hand hovering over the hole that goes straight through your clothing and your skin. It's right below your chest on the left.

"Hiro, Hiro! Hiro!" he can hear his name being shouted from far away.

Hiro's hands cup your face. He leans down over you, his bangs brushing against your forehead. "Oh, gosh, ___, look at me!" Your eyes are frozen on the cloudy sky overhead. "Please! Please, look at me! I'm here, I'm here!"

You can't look at him. Hiro shakes his head and cries out, pulling away from you. His hands grab at his hair. He knows that he has to do something, but he's so confused. How's and why's shoot through his head, blocking out any instincts that come over. You can't see him, you can't see anything. Your eyes stay frozen in pure shock.

"Hiro! Hiro!" The voices are much closer now. Hiro turns his head and sees his friends, all clutching guns and knifes and axes. He would be relieved that they're alive, but the realization that your life is bleeding out of you stops him from feeling anything other than panic. "That thing almost got you!"

"You shot her!" he screams, lifting you into his arms. He shakily raises to his feet. "She wasn't dead! She wasn't dead! You shot her and she wasn't dead!"

"Oh gosh," Honey Lemon gasps.

"She's covered in an awful lot of blood," Go Go says in disbelief. "You're sure-?"

Anger fills him as he stares at his friends. "No, she isn't dead!" he screams. The tears are streaming down his face. "Please," Hiro pleads in a much softer voice. "You have to help her. She can't die. She can't."

They all nod and quickly rush him into the mansion. Fred and Go Go take him into the kitchen, where they clear off the counter. Hiro lays you down on it.

"Go Go, we're going to need that first aid kit!" Honey Lemon shouts.

"On it," Go Go says sternly. She runs out of the kitchen.

"Oh gosh, ___," he whispers, his fingers slowly running down your cheek. A trail of blood is left behind. Despite your face already being covered in creeper blood and dirt, he tries his best to wipe your own blood off of you. "Please stay with me, please. I need you. We're almost safe, ___. You can't leave now-"

"Hiro," Honey Lemon says patiently, "you need to step back and activate Baymax."

He steps back and nods, shrugging out of the straps of Baymax's luggage. It clashes onto the floor. His eyes never leaving you as he whispers, "Ow."

The beeping fills the room. Wasabi grabs Hiro's arms and pulls him away from the counter, away from you. "Hiro, you've gotta-"

"N-No," Hiro whispers weakly, blinking tears from his eyes. "She needs me."

"What she needs is space. Baymax and us will help her in any way that we can. You've gotta calm down and stay put."

He shakes his head. "N-No-"

"Hiro, you've gotta listen. You've made it this far, don't lose it now."

He doesn't fight as Wasabi gently pushes him to the wall. "Wasabi," Honey says, "we need you!" Wasabi lets out a stressed sigh and wipes his hand across his forehead. He runs to the counter.

"The bullet went through," Go Go says.

"What's that mean?" Fred asks.

"It means that this can be treated," Honey says. "Boys, I know that you want to help, but Go Go, Baymax, and I can take it from here."

Fred and Wasabi nod, realizing that Honey and Go Go would have to remove the bullet that is lodged somewhere in your chest. Honey Lemon and Go Go lean over you until you're completely out of view. "Hiro," Go Go says, putting your arms at your sides. "What's her name?"

"___," he stutters a reply. He's completely dazed. What is happening?

"___," Honey Lemon says sweetly, just as a doctor would. "You're going to be fine. Just hold still, sweetie. This will hurt for a few minutes." Not even ten seconds later, an ear-splitting scream erupts out of the silence.

Hiro doesn't hesitate to start for you. "Stop! Stop, you're hurting her!" Fred and Wasabi grab Hiro's arms and hold him back. Hiro thrashes and tries to move around to look at you, to touch you, to let you know that he's here, but he's held back while you squirm under Honey Lemon and Go Go's hands. Baymax is hovering over you. Your scream never ends, each second of the screech bringing Hiro a new pang in his heart. "Stop, she can't take it!"

"She's going to have to," Go Go snaps angrily, holding your right arm against the table. You write underneath her, your torso moving upwards as Honey Lemon works.

"You're killing her!" he screams in horror, catching just a short glimpse of your face. You're red, your throat moving in and out as you put everything into your screams. "Stop-!"

"We have to get the bullet out, Hiro," Honey Lemon explains calmly, yet sternly. "If we don't, then she will die."

Hiro falls back in defeat. There's absolutely nothing he can do as you writhe in pain. He shouldn't have taken you here. You two would've been just fine on your own. Why did he think otherwise? You're so strong, but are you strong enough to fight through this? Is he? You could've built up a safe place. Started a family, started a new life, but Hiro wanted to find his friends.

And now he might lose you as a result.