chapter twenty-nine

It feels like hours have passed, but it's been just a few minutes. Tears stream down Hiro's face as he collapses onto his knees. He stares at the floor. Drips of your blood hit the hardwood and bounce off. He can't take his eyes off of the small puddle. This was your life draining out of you, puddling together on the floor, emptying you further.

Hiro imagined himself losing you. Living here with his friends. Carrying your body to the backyard and burying in one of the gardens. He would plant a plethora of daisies for you. He pictured himself sitting by the gravestone that he slaved over making, letting his fingers run across your name that's carved in, his tears watering the flowers on the dirt, his memories fading each day. He would try to hold them in. He would try to remember your smile, the way you would tangle your fingers in his hair during each kiss, watching you in amazement as you saved his life that second day, sharing that can of beans with you in the attic, pressing his palms against yours, forming that bond after Tadashi died, saving you, you saving him... endless memories that would mean the world to him.

But would he lose them?

Isn't that how it works, anyways? You want to hold on to a memory. Hold on to that last goodbye, that final 'I love you', the last hug, kiss, touch... but you don't have a say in it. Your mind doesn't allow everything to stay.

Hiro is dragged out of his panicked thoughts as someone shakes his shoulders. Fred pats his back, saying things to him that he can't hear. All Hiro can hear are you screams and his heartbeat. Then, all at once, your screams stop. Hiro's head slowly rises up to look at the table. You're dead. You're dead. You're dead.

"Surgery is complete," Baymax announces. Hiro lets out a deep breath as his worries melt away.

Honey Lemon wipes her forehead and nods. "Let's get her wrapped up and get her into a bed."

Hiro slowly stands up as he watches his friends clean up the mess. "Is she... is she alive?"

"She's alive," Go Go says. "Her body is exhausted. If she stays stable, we'll be okay."

Honey Lemon smiles sadly. "Hiro, if she doesn't wake up soon... we don't know if she'll live. I'm sorry."

Hiro nods and lets out a shaky breath. He isn't relieved and he won't be until your eyes are on his again. Fred squeezes Hiro's shoulder. "We should get a bed ready for her."

He slowly nods in response. Fred leads him out of the kitchen and into the hallway. "We'll give her my parents' room. More space, softer bed. She'll be comfortable here."

Hiro swallows. "H-How are your parents?"

Fred shakes his head. "Haven't heard from them in a long time now."

"Oh. I'm sorry."

Fred shrugs as he takes fresh sheets out of the closet. "What about you? Did Tadashi and Cass...?"

"Cass died towards the beginning," Hiro says quickly, a lump forming in his throat. "Tadashi... I lost him a while after." He rubs his hand through his hair.

"I'm sorry," Fred says. He jerks his head towards the door. "She's been with you this entire time?"

Hiro nods and smiles. "Yeah, she's been with me for a long while now."

"I'm glad you two knew to get here," he says. "Wasabi was afraid that you didn't think to or your guys... didn't... you know."

"Tadashi wanted to come. He said that we could put an end to this all if we worked together. He must've known that he wouldn't make it. He put everything and more into that robot's database."

Fred smiles sadly, his eyes wet at the story of his lost friend. He grabs onto Hiro's shoulders and gives him a quick hug. "We're glad you made it, little fellow." He pauses before adding, "And although we didn't give you a warm welcome, exactly... we'll make this work. We can fix her up and then all of us can work together and stop the zombies." He pulls back and grins at Hiro. "Look, your brother definitely knew that you were built for this kind of world. You've made it this long, dude. Besides, you're stinking ripped!"

Hiro laughs and rolls his eyes, pushing away from Fred as his face burns. "Thanks, but..." He stops and looks at his arms. "Am I really?"

"Insanely," Fred answers honestly. He nudges Hiro's arm. "That's probably why you got her, huh?" He wiggles his eyebrows and laughs.

Your name brings Hiro back to reality. "Yeah," he mumbles, the worry clouding up his mind once again. "Probably."

Fred clears his throat, sensing the change in Hiro's attitude. "Let's just, uh... get these sheets off." Hiro obeys without another word. He pulls the sheets off of the bed and then helps Fred tuck the fresh one underneath the mattress. Right after the comforter is straightened out and the pillows are back in place, Honey and Go Go lead Wasabi, who has you cradled against his chest, inside.

They place you in the middle of the bed and cover you up. Hiro shakes his head at your blood soaked t-shirt. The sight of it makes his stomach knot and turn. The gang takes note of his expression. "Does she have any other clothes?" Honey asks.

Hiro shakes his head. "No."

"We'll find her something," she says with a smile. "Baymax says that she's stable as of now. We'll have to keep an eye on her while she rests."

"I'm not leaving her side," Hiro insists. The others nod and swiftly walk out of the room, shutting the door behind them. Hiro walks around to the other side of the bed and takes your hand in his. "___, I won't leave you. You can get better now. Rest, I'll be here when you open your eyes." He smiles sadly, brushes the hair hanging on your forehead away, and presses his lips against your heated skin.