chapter six

"We could even look for guns today," Hiro says.

Tadashi smiles and nods. "Yeah, we could. The police department had weapons that they were handing out to the women that lost their husbands to the things. I'm sure they're still there since the donation lasted about three days before the city was evacuated."

You squint your eyes against the bright morning sun. "Why'd you stay here? And how did the soldiers not find you?" you ask. A month after the outbreak, the city was evacuated. The largest hospital burned to nothing, the citizens who refused to leave shot and left to rot on the dusty roads. You stayed silent in your attic for weeks until the soldiers were gone and the world was quiet. When you left your attic, the creepers were everywhere, but everyone else was gone.

"We stayed in the basement," Hiro says. "We knew that our friends would be staying at Fred's - no one would dare touch the rich neighborhoods. We plan on making our way over there at some point."

You nod. "You guys are pretty smart, I'll give you that." There's a soft groan from beside you as you pass an alleyway. You raise your crowbar and turn around, only to see a creeper. He's shirtless, his backside completely gone, his legs unevenly severed. With yellow hand, he claws at the air, desperately trying to grab your leg. Hiro steps up and grabs your wrist, pulling you a few inches away from the paralyzed creature. You look up at him, and the drop your eyes back down. He sighs and gives your wrist a reassuring squeeze before releasing it.

"We need to keep moving," he says. He leans down and shoves his knife into the skull of the creeper, ending the groans forever.

You let out a shaky breath and start to walk behind Tadashi again, this time with Hiro by your side. "I've never seen one like that before," you explain.

"Pretty sick, huh?" He looks at you with a smile, but it's obviously forced. He clears his throat. "Yeah, Tadashi and I saw one with its arm hanging by one strand of muscle about three and a half days ago. They're falling apart." He shudders.

Then how do you expect to save them?

Hiro continues, "So much for a future, huh?" he mumbles to you.

"I believe that there can be one," you defend.

"Huh?"

"A future," you clarify. "Think about it, we can't be the only people on earth. Besides, those of us that are here can't all be bad. We can rebuild this place with what we have if we work together."

"You're different," Hiro says. "Different from all of us, I mean."

You shrug. "I just don't want this to be the end of it all, you know?" Before he answers, you decide to change the subject. "Anyways... do you guys go on runs often?"

"We've been going everyday for about a week now," Hiro says. "It's not safe, and we don't like to leave Aunt Cass alone. She's definitely not helpless, but the thought of-"

"Hiro," Tadashi snaps at his little brother.

Hiro falls silent immediately. "Anyways. So, did she ask?"

"Ask what?" you question. "Oh, if I wanted to stay?" Hiro nods. "Yeah."

"And what'd you say?" he pushes further, a smile touching his lips.

"I said yeah," you reply, grinning and looking down at your feet.

"That's awesome!" Hiro exclaims. "It really is."

Tadashi turns around and smiles at the two of you. "You know," he says slyly, "Hiro's the one who asked Aunt Cass and I if we could let you stay."

"Yeah?" You look over at Hiro, who's blushing and shaking his head at his older brother.

"Why would you tell her that?" Hiro asks through clenched teeth.

"Just keeping it real, brother," Tadashi replies simply. He turns back around and chuckles.

You smile and nudge Hiro with your elbow. "Thanks," you say. He looks back at you. "Thanks for thinking about me."

"It wasn't a big deal," he says. "No one deserves to live alone forever." He returns the smile, and you find your heartbeat picking up its pace a bit. You immediately look down. No, no, no. You can't do this. Not now, not ever.

"Guys," Tadashi whispers, slowing to a stop. You look ahead and see the group of about fifteen creepers, making their way over to you. Tadashi jerks his head towards one of the office buildings. You all quietly slip inside, shutting the doors and slinking away from the windows. "The police department is down the road."

"So we have to wait for them to pass?" you whisper back.

"It's the best idea," he replies.

"Should we scavenge around here?" Hiro asks, looking around at the shelves in the back.

"For files and paperclips?" Tadashi chuckles. "No, thanks."

"You never know what's here," you add. "People hide things and then never have the chance to get them back. I once found a food stash hidden behind a toilet in a library."

Tadashi nods. "I'll keep watch. You two go look. Stay close and stay quiet."

"Got it." Hiro jerks his head to the back of the room. You follow him, your crowbar tight in your grip as you descend into the dark side of the office. As you creep forward, you think about how grateful you are that the flooring beneath your feet is carpet. Soft, grey, boring carpet that keeps the noises to a low minimum. You wish the entire world was covered in carpet; soft floors equal no noise, no noise equals no creepers. "Get on that side of the shelves, okay?" Hiro whispers, "I'll cover you. Don't worry."

"Why on earth would I worry about splitting up in a dark office filled with huge shelves?" you mutter sarcastically, which earns you a chuckle and smirk from Hiro.

You obey his order, taking the left side of the shelves. Cardboard boxes line the floor. Everything is quiet, until there's a creak on the floor. You gulp and raise your crowbar, darting to your corner of the last shelf. Hands shaking and heart beating rapidly, you come close to a shadow. You can do this. With a deep breath, you turn the corner and hold the crowbar up. You gasp when you realize that it's just Hiro.

"Whoa," he says, smiling, "are you trying to kill me?"

"You scared me," you reply, placing a hand over your beating heart. "I thought you were a creeper."

"Sorry," he apologizes. You shake your head and let out a deep breath. "Are you alright?"

"Fine," you answer. "Did you find anything?"

"Um, no. You?"

"Not yet. Maybe we can check the offices-" You're cut off as you see a limping figure walk out of an open door and start towards the shelves. Your breath hitches in your throat.

"Maybe we can what-" You quickly grab Hiro's arm and cover his mouth with your hand. His eyes widen as you pull him to the ground and against one of the shelves.

"Creeper," you breathe.