chapter eighteen

You wake up to the sound of rain pounding against the windows. It's a comforting sound that reminds you of home. There's no telling what time it is; the clouds block out any sign of sunshine. You sigh in content and try to flip over, only to be stopped by the warmth of another body against you and two arms wrapped around your torso. You tilt your head back to see his big brown eyes staring down at you.

"Finally awake, princess?" he asks lowly with a chuckle.

"Yeah." You stretch and yawn. "How long was I out?"

"Let's see... well, I've been up for about six hours and you went to bed before me, so I'd say about twelve hours-"

You sit up quickly. Your hands go to the roots of your hair and you pull at him. "Are you kidding me? Hiro! Why didn't you wake me up? We could've left hours ago-!"

"Whoa," he interrupts, sitting up beside you. "Who says I want to leave?" He places his left and on your waist and pulls you closer against him. "I really just want to spend time with you. Just us without any creepers around... doesn't that sound nice?" He buries his face in your hair.

Butterflies fill your stomach. "Don't you have to save the world?"

"The world can wait," he insists, laying back down against the pillows. He grabs a fistful of the end of your sweatshirt and pulls gently. "Besides, it's not like it's getting any worse." He laughs dryly before his smile falters. "Please, let's just stay inside. I don't want to see them... not a-after Tadas-" He can't even finish his sentence. His breath hitches in his throat and he looks away, blinking tears rapidly from his eyes.

You look at him sympathetically and slowly slide down onto your stomach, half of your body rest on his. You drape your arm across his chest. "Okay, then we'll stay. We'll have a day off with just the two of us."

"Thank you," he whispers, his lips curling up. Your eyes drop down to look at them. Stretched wide over his pale skin, slightly chapped, and revealing the gap between his teeth. Before you can blink, his left hand leaves your waist and raises to the back of your head. His palm presses up against it gently, his fingers tangling in your knotted locks. His eyes scan your face quickly before he shuts his eyes and pushes your face towards his. Your eyes flutter closed.

When his lips touch yours, it's perfect.

He kisses you passionately and gently, as if he adores you more than anything else in the world. Maybe he does. You pull back and laugh lightly, a slight blush across your cheeks. He grins again before smashing his lips against yours.

"I love you," he mumbles against your mouth.

"I love you more," you tell him in between kisses.

He lets out a chuckle in the back of his throat. "Doubt it." The kisses continue, filling you to the brim with pure love. It felt like it was just you and him in this world. His hand grasps your waist tightly, pulling you closer against him until there isn't any space between you.

You reach up and tuck a tangle of hair behind your ear. In need of breath, you pull back and open your eyes. Hiro's eyelids lazily pull open. His hand leaves the back of your head and slides to your cheek. He strokes his thumb up and down, brushing the flesh of it against your lips, the side of your nose, and right below your eye.

"You're so beautiful," he whispers to you.

You grin and move your hand from his chest to the back of his head. Carefully, you lift him from the pillows to allow you better access to his lips. He gratefully kisses you again, much deeper this time, as you softly brush through his wild hair with your shaking fingers. You tilt your head and melt into the kiss.

The slamming sound of hands against glass makes you jump back and choke down on a scream. You fall down against the mattress, your hands searching at your belt for your knife that isn't there.

Hiro automatically sits up and leans over you protectively, keeping one hand on each side of you. He remains hovering as he glares at the window, where two hands are banging and scratching. He sighs. "I'll get it."

"I will," you offer.

He looks down at you and smiles a bit. "No, I'll do it. I need to get over myself." He drops down and gives you a quick peck on the lips before pushing himself up off of the bed and grabbing his knife off of the nightstand.

You sit up as he opens the window just enough. The creeper's hands reach inside, scratching and flailing around, trying to search for human flesh. Hiro reaches his hand into the small crack and drives the knife into its skull. It falls down to the grass, and Hiro simply shuts the window.

"It's okay that they scare you," you assure him. He walks over to you and stops. He looks embarrassed. You sigh and swing your legs over the side of the bed. Your arms wrap around his waist and pull him close to you. He doesn't hesitate to hug you back. "Really, it's okay."

He places a kiss on your hair. His fingers stroke it gently, brushing out the tangles. "It's not that I'm scared of looking at them. I'm scared of what they can do. Of what they can do to you." He swallows thickly and presses his face against the top of your head.

"I love you," you say desperately, trying to keep him here with you instead of off in this panicking world. "I love you. So. Much."

He sighs happily. "I love you, too. More than you'll ever know, ___."