chapter twenty-one

"___! ___, wake up!"

Your eyes flutter open. Your head throbs as you look up and see the cobwebs on the ceiling above you. With a groan of pain, you try to sit up. You're stopped by rope that has bound your wrists behind your back. The stinging pain makes you hiss.

"Careful!" Hiro whispers from across the room.

Everything suddenly comes back. You immediately begin to panic. "H-Hiro-"

"Shh, shh!" He lifts himself onto his knees. He's bound to the wall as well. "I'm going to get us out of here. You just have to stay calm." The tears flood down your cheeks as you think of what this insane man could do to you and Hiro. "Look at me. ___, look at me!" You do. He gives you an assuring smile. "I'm never going to let anything happen to you. We promised that we would keep each other safe."

You nod. "Okay. What's the plan?"

"Plan?" a voice booms from the front of the room. You nearly jump out of your skin. A man with thick black curls and dark eyes steps into the room. He holds a couple of small guns in both of his hands, and he has a large shotgun strapped across his chest. "Sounds to me like you're trying to escape. And let me assure you; that will not happen."

"What do you want?" Hiro questions coldly.

"The name's Joey," he says, completely brushing Hiro's question away. "What's yours?" Hiro doesn't answer at first. Then, Joey points the gun right at you. "Don't make this difficult. I don't want to do this right now. What's your name, kid?"

"Hiro!" he says quickly. "Hiro Hamada!"

"And yours?" He glares at you.

"___," you say shakily.

Joey drops the gun and walks to the end of the room. He slides down the wall and smiles. "How old are you kids?"

"Sixteen," Hiro replies through clenched teeth.

"You two siblings?" Hiro shakes his head. "Ah. You two together, then?"

"Sort of." Hiro shifts around uncomfortably. Joey looks at you and grins. His eyes scan your body and he nods in approval. You let out a terrified whimper and Hiro snaps, "Don't look at her."

Joey chuckles. "Seems to me like you're not in the position to be telling me what to do."

"I don't care about the position I'm in. I care about you not looking at her." Hiro glares daggers at Joey.

"Kid, I don't think you're getting it," Joey says. "You're the one tied to the wall. I'm the one with the guns. You really wanna tell me what to do?" Hiro doesn't step down. His glaring continues. Finally, Joey shrugs. "Alright, man. Cool." He tucks his guns into the pocket of his belt and walks towards you. You try to move away as he roughly shoves you down and unties your hands. Once freed, he lifts you by your hair. You scream in pain.

"Stop!" Hiro shouts.

"Shh!" He places a finger over your lips. "The dead'll hear you." You purse your lips together, wanting so desperately to get away from him. He grins evilly, his finger trailing down your cheek and across your jaw. You swallow down bile and look at Hiro, who is watching this scene with a pained expression. Joey ties your hands back, not to the wall this time, and while he does this, he talks to Hiro. "You two have been out there a while, yeah?"

Hiro doesn't answer.

"I went through your bags. Lots of supplies, hardly any food though. You guys takin' refuge somewhere? Somewhere safe, I bet. With lots of food."

Hiro shakes his head. "No. It's just us. We go all around the cities and towns-"

"Don't lie!" Joey snaps, taking his gun out and pointing it to your head. As he moved, he forgot to double tie the knot. You move your hands apart just a little, and the rope slips a bit. "Kid, I've been on my own for a while. You two were raiding my garage. All of that stuff was claimed. You think lying to me is the best idea?" He presses the barrel of the gun against your bruise, making you whimper.