chapter thirty

Hiro stares at your sleeping form, afraid that if he looks away, your heart will stop beating and you'll slip away. He holds your limp hand against his lips; his fingers tracing circles against the top of you hand. It's been like this for hours. He hasn't moved; he doesn't want to move. He needs to be here, to be watching when your eyes open and you look up at him. You'll need him.

The bedroom door opens. Wasabi walks in with a tray in his hands. "Hey. How is she?"

"No change," Hiro says. He shifts his stiff body and leans over the bed. A groan builds out of his throat and he drops his face in his palms.

Wasabi nods. He walks to the nightstand and puts the tray down. "I brought you some food." Hiro doesn't respond. "You're going to have to eat something."

Hiro nods and tears his eyes away from your face. He turns to the plate of food and his stomach growls. Grilled ham, green beans, and a bowl of canned peaches. He pokes the slice of meat with his finger, nearly wincing at the heat. How long has it been since he's had a hot meal? "Do you guys have... generators or something?"

"Yeah," Wasabi says. "We try not to use them too much. You know, draws the dead in. We're the only one left on the block, we think."

"How do you get food? Do you go on runs or something?"

"We take what we can from the mansions around here, but Fred also has taken part in a garden in the backyard. Heathecliffe joined in, and now we've somehow got enough food to last the winter. Which is good, since it's approaching pretty quickly."

Hiro nods. "Yeah, hopefully it won't be too rough." He picks up his fork and cuts a piece of ham. He pops it into his mouth, nearly sighing as the salty taste hits his taste buds.

Wasabi starts to walk out the door. Before he does, he says, "Hiro?"

"Yeah?" he mumbles through another bite of ham and green beans.

"It was me," he says softly. "I was the one that shot her. I haven't been that good with guns, so that's why I didn't get her in the head. I thank God that I didn't. But it was me." Hiro nods, his jaw clenching. "Hiro, if she doesn't survive-"

"She will," Hiro snaps.

"If she doesn't," Wasabi continues, "then you have every right to kill me."

Hiro slowly puts his fork down. As much as it would hurt to lose you, he couldn't. "She wouldn't want me to do that. I wouldn't want to do that."

Wasabi smiles a little. "What is she to you... if you don't mind me asking?"

"She's-" Suddenly, your hand grips the sheet that's under you. Hiro shoots up and leans over your bed. "___?"

Your eyes slowly open. They fixate on the ceiling. Nearly ten seconds later, you start to panic.

"No, it's okay. It's okay!" Hiro kneels down and takes your hand. Your (e/c) eyes land on his. "I'm here. You're okay."

"W-What happened to me?"

"You were shot," Hiro explains. "It was an accident."

You look down at your ruined clothes. With shaking hands, you lift the edge of your shirt up until you can see the gauze wrapped around your torso. You let your head fall back, almost in disbelief. "It hurts."

"I know," he says. "We'll get Baymax in here. Wasabi-?"

"On it," he replies before leaving.

"Are we... are we at that Fred guy's house?" you ask.

Hiro laughs. "Yeah, we're at that Fred guy's house." He relaxes, taking your hand in both of his and pressing it against his lips. He slides his hand up and down your arm. "You really scared me, princess."