chapter twenty-five

How could he go on without you?

Hiro's struggling to keep his breakfast down as the scene plays through his head over and over again. On top of that, he sees your face. The first time you smiled at him after you saved his life. The feeling of his hands holding yours during that day in the attic. Opening his eyes and seeing you hovering over him, your cheeks flushed and your eyes crinkled up into a wide smile before you kiss him again. Holding you every night, saying 'I love you'.

It was all over.

"No," he breathes, clenching his teeth together. "I-I can't. You said that you wouldn't leave me!" He covers his face with his hands, uncaring of the blood that soaks them. His sobs rack through his body, making his insides shake. His lungs feel tight as he lets out long cries of pain. "Y-You said-!" Hiro stands up quickly and starts towards the door. Anger fills him. His vision goes red as he imagines stomping in there, destroying every single creeper that is tearing at your body.

You weren't theirs. He wouldn't let this happen.

He pulls out his gun and takes a deep breath through his teeth. As he reaches out for the handle, a body slams against the glass. He jumps back as the bloody hands hit it once. Then, the door opens.

You stumble outside, completely soaked in blood. You're wobbly, your eyelids drooped. On the floor beside you is the creeper that you had been pulling away from Hiro. It's completely shredded into nothing but a few ligaments and a mess of insides and blood. 

"___," he whispers in shock.

You keep moving ahead slowly. You stop and your eyes roll into the back of your head. Hiro shoots forward as soon as you start to fall sideways. His arms encircle you, easing you to the ground. You're alive. "___!" he exclaims. He presses his ear against your chest and almost cheers at the sound of your heart. "Oh my gosh, you're okay! Can you hear me, princess? ___, are you with me?" You don't respond, but at least you're alive. 

'Bites! Check for bites!'

The thought screeches through his head, sending new waves of panic and disorder through him. "Please, please don't let there be any..." Hiro gently lays you down and grabs your arms. Through the thick layer of black blood, your skin is soft and untouched. He clutches your hand and kisses your palm. He's almost laughing with relief. "How did you do it?" he breathes, lifting you into his arms. He doesn't expect an answer, but instead continues to talk to you. He cradles you against his chest and brushes back your hair, completely mesmerized by you and your strength. "You're amazing, ___." He gives you a peck on the lips and starts to walk again. 

When you come to, you're on a hard surface. Scratchy carpeting scrapes at your arms. You groan and try to turn your head as warm liquid runs down your face. In your head, you picture it to be blood. Hot, thick, sticky blood from creepers and yourself. It fills your mouth that is open just a little. It trickles into your nose, burning your airways and choking your airways. You gasp and open your eyes. "N-No-!" you sputter, trying to sit up.

"It's okay, it's okay!" Hiro says. His hands gently push you back down. He caresses your arms and your neck, brushing your hair away from your face.

"Hiro," you breathe as he comes into view. 

"Take it easy," he orders, squeezing a sponge over your forehead. He's washing the blood off of your face. "You were incredibly reckless and amazing back there. If I hadn't of been so scared, I might have found your bravery to be extremely attractive." He smirks at you. 

You smile back. "Mm, where were we-?" you ask.

"The van," he says. "You needed to rest before we went on any other journey to the mansion. The creepers really tired your body out."

"Yeah," you breathe in agreement. "I didn't think that I made it."

"Well, you thought wrong, princess," he says. "And I am so happy that you did." He leans down and kisses you lightly. 

"Me too," you breathe. He kisses deeply and pulls back. "I want to sit up." He assists you as you do, bracing your weak and tired body against his. He hands you a water bottle, which you gratefully open and gulp down quickly. Hiro warms up a can of soup for you and even makes you a new bed made of winter coats and baby blankets that he had found in the back of a few cars. You're grateful to be resting on his soft bed instead of the uncomfortable van floor. It only makes it better with Hiro laying next to you. 

"I'm so glad that you're okay," he breathes, kissing your forehead. He's said this a million times since you've woken up, but you're not complaining. Your eyes are shut as you're trying to rest. You are turned towards him, one arm beneath your head, the other resting against his chest. His right hand strokes your hair and cheek. 

"Me, too," you say with a light laugh. 

"I would've ran right into a herd of them if you hadn't of walked out of that gas station," he says. 

You frown. "Don't say that."

"It's true-"

"Hiro," you whimper. 

He sighs. "Okay, okay. I'm sorry." He pulls you against his chest and kisses your hand. 

"Ugh, how are you holding me while I'm covered in this blood?" you grumble. 

Hiro laughs. "I'm just that happy that you're okay. It really doesn't bother me, ___. Neither of us are exactly clean right now. We'll freshen up at Fred's tomorrow." He kisses the tip of your nose. "Just rest. You need sleep more than anything." You yawn and snuggle deeper into his warm hold, a smile on your lips as he says, "Night, princess."