Chapter 12: Mistake...

Ring...Ring...Ring...

"Hello?"

"Hello?! Mr. Kaepernick?"

"Yes...speaking!"

"Hello, this is Mr. Michelson. I just called to inform you that we served Ms. Rodriguez with the papers thirty minutes ago."

"Good, good. What happens now?" Colin asked quizzically. He wanted to know the complete process of getting custody of his daughter.

"Well, since she has been served with the papers, she has five days to comply with the order and take the child in question to the Medical facility we chose to do the DNA testing. After that is done and the test is rushed in two days as per your request, once they are in, a court hearing will be set to hear the case...only if the results show that the child is your biological child of course." Mr. Michelson Colin's lawyer tells him.

"Okay, if she is my daughter, what are the chances of getting full custody of her?" Colin asked...he had to get custody of Faith if she turns out to be his daughter.

"Well Mr. Kaepernick, it depends. The chances of getting custody are slim without probable cause...and in this situation..." he paused.

Colin rubbed the bridge of his nose "What situation would you be referring too?"

"Well, you did mention that the child's mother claimed you...you raped her ten years ago Mr. Kaepernick. I doubt the judge will consider giving you custody if Ms. Rodriguez claims you raped her in open court."

"I DIDN'T RAPE HER!!" Colin seethed through the phone. "I told you, I don't even remember what happened that night yet alone raping her. I was intoxicated...and I know I was drugged!"

"Mr. Kaepernick, I didn't say you did. I'm just stating what you told me. You are also paying me to council you in this case and try to keep any bad publicity tarnashing your name and reputation, especially since this isn't the first claim of sexual misconduct against you! Now, I'm just stating facts! Because of the situation and the child NOT knowing who you are, I highly doubt the judge will grant you custody. You are also forgetting that Ms. Rodriguez is well known and has plenty of lawyers in hand that will drag this and will make you look unfit to even have visitation if she is you daughter!"

Letting out a heavy sigh, Colin responds "...so, what do you suggest I do then?"

"I suggest that if the child is your biological daughter that you come to an agreement with Ms. Rodriguez once we go to court. Hopefully she'll agree to some type of visitation with the child so you could get to know her."

"FINE! Just...just let me know when she or her lawyer contacts you. I want this done...the sooner the better! If Faith is my daughter, I want to spend as much time as possible with her. Malena already denied me ten years to get to know her...she's not going to continue to deny me my Parental rights! Who knows what she'll try to pull this time around to keep me away from her!" Colin gritted. He was beyond pissed about the whole ordeal!

"Will do Mr. Kaepernick! Think about what I said. Have a good day!" Mr. Michelson tells Colin before hanging up.

"Yeah, good bye!" Colin says and ends the call. Sighing again he picks up the glass that was on his kitchen island and throws it across the room.

After Colin left Malena's house the week before he completely shut down. He went straight home and didn't come out of his house for three days. His family was worried when he hadn't gone back after going to see Malena. Teresa only knew because she had spoken to Yolanda who told her Colin had been there. After a dozen or so calls and text messages left on his phone Teresa left her youngest son be for a bit. After not answering any of the calls after the third day, Teresa and her husband made their way to his house to make sure he was alright. Using their spare key once they reached his house they walked into a horrific scene in front of their eyes.