Eight

I closed my eyes briefly and opened them afraid to roll my eyes again because they might just get stuck in my head.

"Rosa you should try this dress on, I need to know if I should return it or keep it."

Lena instructed me.
Assistant my foot! She was ordering me around like the boss.

"Okay ma'am I'll do just that."

I was damn tired, I didn't get enough sleep last night. Jake decided to share my bed with me.

I threw on the gown to stop her from talking.

Wow. I loved it!

"I'm keeping it."

I said with a note of finality.

"Of course! Mr Blackwood would have a hard time keeping his hands off you when you wear it.

Lena said.

I knew she was just kidding but it nauseated me to think of doing anything to turn Jake on.

"I've changed my mind, we're returning this."

I pulled the dress off and tossed it on the pile of clothes she would be returning to wherever she brought them.

"You are keeping it."

Lena insisted.

"No. I'm not."

I crossed my arms, frowning at her.

"I'm sorry sweetie, it's my duty to doll you up and I don't care if you're okay with it or not. It's my job."

She picked the carton brown dress from the pile and put it on a wire hanger.

I rolled my eyes and walked out of my room. I was hungry anyway.

I was just on edge today, Lena was a really nice person, I've never had a problem with her since we met.

As I walked down the stairs, I heard voices from the living room.

"...she insisted that she wanted to see you today and thank you for paying for her surgery."

I know that voice...
Mom! What was she doing here?

"Thank you Mr Blackwood, you're my hero."

Sam's tinny voice resonated.

My heart thumped painfully in my chest.

No...no...no... Mom cannot find out that my marriage was on contract. Not like this!

"You're welcome munchkin and I'm glad that you're getting better."

Jake said smoothly, no trace of shock in his voice.

"Please call me Jake, we're family now."

I used the other way to the kitchen, I couldn't let them see me just yet.

For the first time since I stepped foot into this house, I was grateful that it was huge.

I needed to gather myself together and look at ease.

"Ms Blackwood, good day."

The cook... I couldn't remember her name...greeted me as I stepped into the kitchen.