Forty four

Rosalind.

I was surviving, going through my lectures and trying not to breakdown in school.
Two weeks....
Since I saw my boys.
Since I heard them laugh.
I miss them so so bad. Everyday I wake, I wonder how they're doing, if Jake had gotten them a nanny.
Practical week just started and it gave me something else to think about.

I hurried out of the basic recipe class as the bell rang, my lectures end around twelve and I planned to go help mom bake the deserts for one wedding...whatever, I didn't care what it was.
As I walked through the lot to the main gate, I spotted a familiar car, like the black range rover sports Jake bought for the boys but I shrugged it off.

"Mrs Blackwood."
My spine went still.
Who knows me by that name?
I resisted the urge to turn around and continued, trying hard to maintain my pace.

"Ma'am, get in the car."
This time around, I turned only to find the car right beside me.
The window rolled down to reveal Connor.
What was he doing here?

"Please ma'am, I'm under strict instructions to drive you to the hospital."
That caught my attention. Hospital?

"Hospital? What for?"

Was it mom? I didn't have a cell phone and it was impossible to reach me except through mom's phone.
"Little Scott is ill and the doctors can't name the problem."
Oh my God!
No wonder I had this bad feeling in my spine.
I opened the door and got in quickly.

"Let's go... Hurry."

I sat impatiently through the longest ride of my life.
What could have gone wrong? I left them in perfect condition. Perhaps it was something he ate, or drank...
Once we got to the hospital, I was out the door before Connor could stop the car.
I hurried inside and straight to the reception.
"Hello."
I couldn't bring myself to smile at the pretty nurse.

"I'm here to see...."
Someone touched my shoulder.
"It's okay nurse, I'll take it from here."
Clarke!!
Of course I was happy to see him.

"This way."
I took my hand and dragged me through numerous halls, everything passed in a blur and I was standing in front of the white door tagged '41'
I quickly pushed the door open and rushed in.

First, I noticed Jake pacing around with Carter in his arms, Mrs Montero sat there at one corner, watching Scott.
I ignored them both and rushed to Scott's side.

"Scott, baby..."
I touched his cheek lightly.
What broke my heart was how pale he looked.
"Mommy..."
He wasn't on any drips so I picked him up.
Then he started crying.
"It's okay love, mommy's here now."
I cooed softly, rocking him gently, covering his face with kisses until he quieted down.

I sat on the bed and balanced him on my lap.
"I'm so sorry baby... I..."
I didn't realise I was crying until he reached out and wiped my tears.

His stomach looked so small....
Just how much has he been eating?
"You're hungry?"
He nodded.
Without another word, I looked around for their bag and went through the process of fixing his plate.

"Just get well sweetheart, I'll bake you plenty cookies, okay?"
He nodded and smiled, I forced a small smile on my face and fed him.

"More?"
I asked when he finished eating.
He shook his head and snuggled closer to me.
I watched his eyes drop and he reluctantly fell asleep.
I gently lowered him to the bed and held his hand to assure him that I was still there.

"Mama?"
I wiped my tears before turning to Carter who was reaching out for me.
I caught Jake's hazel eyes and looked away quickly as I took Carter from him.