Chapter 4

Han had to give a sigh, overwhelmed at the sight as he stood before the royal palace of Alderaan. Standing tall, the white durasteel building was an impressive feat of architecture, each and every curve making its appearance unique. In addition, the cool color it was painted made it stick out, its bright shade attracting attention to its beauty, slick and sparkling in the night. But it was still day. Han honestly didn't care much for architecture, but with little to do and low chances of selling glitterstim on Alderaan . . . He and Chewie had decided to go explore more. They'd been given a pamphlet of places to visit and the royal palace had been high on the list. So, here they were.

  Han cautiously strode around, looking at this and that. There were guards posted around the palace's perimeter but none of them seemed that worried or, quite honestly, like they really cared. In fact, Han noted, they talked among themselves, laughing joking, greeting tourists and the Alderaanians alike. It almost creeped Han out. Was Alderaan really that chill and safe or was the royal family in desperate need of a new staff?

  But, just as he was taking note on another guard's leisurely appearance, suddenly, they all snapped to attention, bowing deeply to the grassy ground. Han looked to the main entrance where, exiting a speeder, came the royal family themselves. First came the queen and viceroy and right behind them the princess. Long coils of chestnut brown hair hung down her back like waves, curled up at the ends. That girl, he'd seen her before. This morning! At the meeting of the nobles in Crevasse City. Han had to admit she was very pretty, gorgeous even. He hadn't realized she was part of the royal family.

  Following the princess out of the speeder were three older woman, all speaking in excited tones. Two caught up to the princess and she growled, scowling and running ahead. They all chased after her. "Leia!" one of them screeched. "Leia! Don't tell me you're not considering any of those proposals! Alderaan is depending on whoever you choose!"

  "Then you can tell them Bornan gets the throne. I never wanted it, anyway!"

  "This is what will happen if you wait too long!" one of the elderly women yelled at the princess's back as she stormed off. "Bornan has already become engaged to a young lady named Aryn Dro."

  Another of the women spoke up, saying, "And Raal too must soon choose. Perhaps, he will take your throne instead. With another lady."

  This made the princess stop in her tracks. She turned back to them, her face scrunched up, trying to suppress tears. But, "Then he shall have his throne," was all she said before she ran off, pulling her day wraps tighter about her shoulders.

  Han had to pity her. She was obviously under some kind of stress, pressured to do what Alderaan must expect of her and Han didn't want to know how difficult it must be, how hard it must be to live the life of a noble. With a whole planet's welfare on your shoulders . . . Han wasn't about to even pretend he knew what that was like. He knew what it was like to be in debt, how scary it was to know there was a bounty hanging over your head. Not what kind of pressure came with ruling  a planet. But it had to keep one up at night!
  Han gave a final sigh, this time out of empathy, and turned back with Chewie to return to the Falcon, an image of the poor girl stuck in his mind.

                                                                                                OoO

  There had to be something magical about Alderaan, Han decided. He and Chewie had been busy all the rest of the day working on the Falcon and were currently out on a walk in the middle of the night. And, Han had to think, Alderaan could very well be even more gorgeous at night than even in the day. The white, sparkling buildings glittered in the dark like stars themselves lit the night sky. The odd couple had come back to see the palace and had found a nice bench to sit down for a while. Nibbling on a small snack of some kind of crackers, Han and Chewie sat in the near silence of the night, conversing in hushed tones as though not to interrupt the peaceful night.

  But quick movement caught Han's eye and, on instinct, he raced a hand to his blaster holster, looking around, cautiously. A low groan sounded higher to Han's right and his head jerked to that side. A faint light appeared and Han made out a window on one of the palace's higher floors. A long, long rope dropped from the window and Han had to smirk to himself when he saw a slim, nimble figure slide out and he realized it must have been some kind of rope. The figure left it there to hang and crept along. Quickly, cautiously, the person went until they came to a smaller tree in the courtyard.The figure took a seat on its swing and pulled loose their hair. The princess, Han surmised.
  For a second or two, he had to wonder what she would be doing out here, but his thoughts were stopped short when he noticed a new figure that was approaching the princess. She quickly stood to greet him with a hug and a peck on the cheek. They sat down in the grass together and Han watched her, as if suddenly relieved, fall into his lap. He held her there, in his arms. Deciding he shouldn't have even been watching this long, Han got up to leave, but as he stood the princess jumped out of the man's grasp, shoved him back and darted back to where she'd left the rope hanging.

A/N: Sorry for the short and horrid chapter! I started writing this one, than I had new ideas and it just works better if I make a couple short chapters right now. Hope you're enjoying this fanfic!